Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: jasonrandolph on October 19, 2009, 11:34:08 am

Title: Rabbit Island, Sunrise
Post by: jasonrandolph on October 19, 2009, 11:34:08 am
I don't know how many shots of this little island off the coast of O'ahu I've taken, but this is the first one that satisfied me.  I missed the best light by about 15 minutes, but I captured this one while the light was still a beautiful orange.  Comments & critiques appreciated...
Title: Rabbit Island, Sunrise
Post by: wolfnowl on October 19, 2009, 11:58:24 am
Interesting!  I like the movement in the clouds, and even though you 'missed the light' the colours worked out really well.

Mike.
Title: Rabbit Island, Sunrise
Post by: cmi on October 19, 2009, 01:45:25 pm
Awesome. The clarity of the horizon and the island contrasting with the clouds. The left sided island distracts me a bit.
Title: Rabbit Island, Sunrise
Post by: EduPerez on October 19, 2009, 02:41:56 pm
The contrast between the sharp island and the fuzzy clouds is so strong it almost looks artificial, I like it very much; perhaps some cropping will enhance it further, just a thought.
Title: Rabbit Island, Sunrise
Post by: jasonrandolph on October 19, 2009, 05:04:33 pm
Thank you all for the comments.  I'll see if I can make a different quote "work".
Title: Rabbit Island, Sunrise
Post by: jasonrandolph on October 21, 2009, 01:43:01 am
Here's a new crop.  Let me know what you think.
Title: Rabbit Island, Sunrise
Post by: stamper on October 21, 2009, 04:30:35 am
Quote from: jasonrandolph
Here's a new crop.  Let me know what you think.

Yes I think this is better. The island ( focal point ) is better placed. Over all a very pleasing image!
Title: Rabbit Island, Sunrise
Post by: John R on October 21, 2009, 10:50:58 am
I've looked at this image a few times, and quite frankly, I can't see anything I would change. Sure I can crop it seven ways to Sunday, but this is just a matter of taste and not necessarily making the image better. Because of the moving colour-casted clouds, the image has a surreal quality to be sure, and that is its chief characteristic, which is very nice. I don't see the new crop as any better and the first has more of an edge to it than simple focal point or centre of interest, which, IMO, is a formulaic way at looking at things.

JMR
Title: Rabbit Island, Sunrise
Post by: cmi on October 21, 2009, 05:10:01 pm
Yes I agree with John, I like the first version more. In the new one the island is too far to the left for me. I also tried myself a bit around but found nothing really better. Jason, I have to say I generally like this consistent long exposure look wich expresses in the coulds in all these images.
Title: Rabbit Island, Sunrise
Post by: jasonrandolph on October 22, 2009, 11:39:52 am
Thanks for the additional feedback.  I think I like the original better as well.