Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: MKraus on October 17, 2009, 09:14:34 pm
-
I am having a problem getting Raw files imported into Lightroom 2.5. This occurs whether I try to import them from a card reader or from my hard drive. I have never had a problem getting my lexar card reader or the card reader on my computer to read raw files in Lightroom import. I have used CD cards with my Canon 5D and when I imported these CR files in Lightroom, using either of the 2 card readers, they always showed the CR files and they imported just fine into Lightroom.
I am trying a Canon G11 and Canon S90, both of which shoot in Raw. But they use SD cards and not CF cards. With either of these cameras, when I shoot Raw images, they show up as gray in the Lightroom import preview. This occurs with either camera and either card reader. When I try to import these gray files, I get a message which says the file is either unsupported or damaged. I can import Jpg’s fine without problem, only trouble is with Raw files.
I’m not sure what is going on here. Obviously I have several variables. But it occurs with 2 different card readers, 2 different cameras. I have tried several different SD cards, even tried reformatting them. The only difference I see is it works with CF cards and not with SD cards. They read fine in Photoshop, but I can’t import them into Lightroom either directly from PS, from my hard drive or from the card reader. Am I doing something wrong or missing something here?
I can open these CR images in PS CS4 just by reading them from the card in PS. So there isn't a problem with the file. It views perfectly in PS if I directly open it here. But then if I try to import it to LR from PS, I get the same message that the file is unsuported or damaged. So the problem isn't with the card reader or SD card and I think the files are OK as I can read them in PS...I just can't import them into Lightroom.
Thanks,
Matthew Kraus
-
I am having a problem getting Raw files imported into Lightroom 2.5. This occurs whether I try to import them from a card reader or from my hard drive. I have never had a problem getting my lexar card reader or the card reader on my computer to read raw files in Lightroom import. I have used CD cards with my Canon 5D and when I imported these CR files in Lightroom, using either of the 2 card readers, they always showed the CR files and they imported just fine into Lightroom.
I am trying a Canon G11 and Canon S90, both of which shoot in Raw. But they use SD cards and not CF cards. With either of these cameras, when I shoot Raw images, they show up as gray in the Lightroom import preview. This occurs with either camera and either card reader. When I try to import these gray files, I get a message which says the file is either unsupported or damaged. I can import Jpg’s fine without problem, only trouble is with Raw files.
I’m not sure what is going on here. Obviously I have several variables. But it occurs with 2 different card readers, 2 different cameras. I have tried several different SD cards, even tried reformatting them. The only difference I see is it works with CF cards and not with SD cards. They read fine in Photoshop, but I can’t import them into Lightroom either directly from PS, from my hard drive or from the card reader. Am I doing something wrong or missing something here?
I can open these CR images in PS CS4 just by reading them from the card in PS. So there isn't a problem with the file. It views perfectly in PS if I directly open it here. But then if I try to import it to LR from PS, I get the same message that the file is unsuported or damaged. So the problem isn't with the card reader or SD card and I think the files are OK as I can read them in PS...I just can't import them into Lightroom.
Thanks,
Matthew Kraus
For what it's worth, I have no problem importing G11 raw files into LR 2.5. So, something is definitely fishy.
-
Matthew,
Neither camera is supported in ACR 5.5 or LR 2.5. Probably another month or so before they are.
Rich
-
Matthew,
Neither camera is supported in ACR 5.5 or LR 2.5. Probably another month or so before they are.
Rich
That's not true, at least for the G11. LR 2.5 imports its RAW files just fine.
-
Peter,
Neither camera is on the list of "officially" supported cameras. That is what I based my statement on.
Rich