Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: John R on October 15, 2009, 08:44:03 pm

Title: Autumn path
Post by: John R on October 15, 2009, 08:44:03 pm
After seeing Timo's autumn photos in BW, I decided to try a little experimentation. I could have cropped this many ways, but decided on this because of the wires in the sky. The original is in glorious colour in a soft, almost shadowless light. So I boosted the contrast and added a sepia-like colour on BW, and this is the result. I like the composition but am wondering if people like the treatment I gave it.

JMR[attachment=17235:Oct_13_0...tercopy2.jpg]
Title: Autumn path
Post by: AndrewKulin on October 15, 2009, 10:48:29 pm
I am not sure why you would want to do this one in B&W.  Other than for a few leaves on the ground near the base of the trees this photograph could have been taken in high summer and converted to B&W for the same effect.  If colours are glorious then let them shine forth - for me that is what what makes the fall my favourite season (plus the elimination of that Toronto area summertime humidex!).

Andrew
Title: Autumn path
Post by: John R on October 15, 2009, 11:06:02 pm
Quote from: AndrewKulin
I am not sure why you would want to do this one in B&W.  Other than for a few leaves on the ground near the base of the trees this photograph could have been taken in high summer and converted to B&W for the same effect.  If colours are glorious then let them shine forth - for me that is what what makes the fall my favourite season (plus the elimination of that Toronto area summertime humidex!).

Andrew
On the whole, I agree with your assessment and love autumn, precisely for the colours. But the darker sepia view of the trees grew on me, like walking under a canopy on a brooding sky day, and I wondered what others might think of it. I will show you the larger verison with clouds, which I like better, but it is a little fuzzy due to too much cloning where the wires were.

Thanks for the comments

JMR
Title: Autumn path
Post by: wolfnowl on October 16, 2009, 03:32:18 am
It's different, but I rather like it myself.  I prefer the first one to the second, wider shot.

Here's an autumn path for you, John.  It was a quick grab, but it intrigued me that the woman's pants are almost the same colour as the path, while her hair and jacket match the maple leaves on the left.

Mike.

[attachment=17242:DSCF5602.jpg]
Title: Autumn path
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 16, 2009, 03:47:13 am
Quote from: John R
After seeing Timo's autumn photos in BW, I decided to try a little experimentation. I could have cropped this many ways, but decided on this because of the wires in the sky. The original is in glorious colour in a soft, almost shadowless light. So I boosted the contrast and added a sepia-like colour on BW, and this is the result. I like the composition but am wondering if people like the treatment I gave it.

JMR[attachment=17235:Oct_13_0...tercopy2.jpg]
John, I like the shot and I can easily understand why you've converted it to b&w. However, I think you've overdone the toning. It would be better with rather less saturation.

Jeremy
Title: Autumn path
Post by: John R on October 16, 2009, 07:01:40 am
Quote from: wolfnowl
It's different, but I rather like it myself.  I prefer the first one to the second, wider shot.

Here's an autumn path for you, John.  It was a quick grab, but it intrigued me that the woman's pants are almost the same colour as the path, while her hair and jacket match the maple leaves on the left.

Mike.
You certainly posted an interesting image. I don't often attempt to shoot in that kind of hard, mixed lighting. And you are right, she does seem to blend in. Thanks for the comments. I am going to post the colour with the BW for easy viewing. Notice the wires.

JMR
Title: Autumn path
Post by: John R on October 16, 2009, 07:02:45 am
Quote from: kikashi
John, I like the shot and I can easily understand why you've converted it to b&w. However, I think you've overdone the toning. It would be better with rather less saturation.

Jeremy
I will give that a try and see what it looks like. It's just that I grew enamoured with the "dark" look. Thanks for the comments.

JMR
Title: Autumn path
Post by: shutterpup on October 16, 2009, 09:49:09 am
John,
From what you've posted so far, I prefer the sepia-toned version. It has a distinct, other-worldly quality to it. I agree that it could have been shot at any time, any season, but it's the one that grabbed me.

Pup
Title: Autumn path
Post by: jasonrandolph on October 16, 2009, 11:25:58 am
The color and B&W versions have very different feelings to them.  Both are effective, but to my eye, I like the monochrome better.  Either way, it's a great shot.  I like the symmetry.
Title: Autumn path
Post by: wolfnowl on October 16, 2009, 11:32:10 am
Quote from: shutterpup
John,
From what you've posted so far, I prefer the sepia-toned version. It has a distinct, other-worldly quality to it. I agree that it could have been shot at any time, any season, but it's the one that grabbed me.

Pup
Agreed.  The colour image is 'nice', but it doesn't have the same sense of intensity to it.

Mike.