Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Derryck on October 14, 2009, 12:43:54 am
-
I just had my website redesigned and was interested in getting some feedback.
www.derryckmenere.com (http://www.derryckmenere.com)
Thanks in advance,
Derryck.
-
I just had my website redesigned and was interested in getting some feedback.
www.derryckmenere.com (http://www.derryckmenere.com)
Thanks in advance,
Derryck.
Hi Derryck,
I'm sure there'll be some who dislike flash sites, however I have no dislikes except being kept waiting for an inordinate time while a site or it's images load.
Your site, in my opinion (humble or otherwise), is excellent! Quick, crisp, clear and great images. I like the colour scheme and the general ambience.
You have my vote.
Bob.
PS Have you seen Tim Griffith's Shanghai Portfolio? He had an exhibition at the Ballarat Foto Biennale that was superb!
http://www.timgriffith.com.au (http://www.timgriffith.com.au)
-
Hi Bob,
thanks for the feedback. I'm not a fan of waiting for sites to load either. That's why I've kept the images to a reasonable size. I also have the problem of having a site that needs to be viewed in and outside of China. I found hosting in Singapore to be the best solution.
I've seen a few of Tim's Shanghai images, they're fantastic, one of my assistant's was helping him out while he was here shooting the World Finance Centre.
Cheers,
Derryck.
-
I just had my website redesigned and was interested in getting some feedback.
www.derryckmenere.com (http://www.derryckmenere.com)
Thanks in advance,
Derryck.
Nice site. Clean, uncluttered, pretty quick to load. Please make the arrow keys functional for navigating the photos!
Jeremy
-
Nice site. Clean, uncluttered, pretty quick to load. Please make the arrow keys functional for navigating the photos!
Jeremy
I'll echo Jeremy's comments, but also point out that in the absence of the arrow keys, at least the ">" symbol stays in the same place for each image, which is very nice.
Very clean, attractive site.
Eric
-
Derryck,
I agree with what others have already said! Your site is very clean and intuitive. And your photographs are excellent. I spent most time viewing the "spaces" portfolio. I also like the "news" section a lot. I found it to be more inviting than other photo blogs that post more than what anyone would want to read!
-
I'll echo Jeremy's comments, but also point out that in the absence of the arrow keys, at least the ">" symbol stays in the same place for each image, which is very nice.
And also, Eric, you don't even have to click it: a click anywhere in the appropriate half of the frame will do. It's nearly as good as having working arrow keys.
But not quite.
Jeremy
-
Thanks for all the constructive feedback.
Jeremy, I wasn't exactly sure what you meant by "working arrow keys" do you mean having permanently displayed keys at the side or bottom of the image? Or do you mean being able to move forward or back using the arrow keys on the keyboard? There are already forward and back arrows which appear at the left and right side of the image. When designing the site I wasn't sure that I wanted anything distracting from the images, so I wanted them to disappear when the user didn't have the mouse over the top of them. One suggestion that a friend has made is that I have a slide show option, although personally I haven't always been a fan of that feature.
I'm planning to add a blog button in between the news and about sections in the coming month.
Derryck.
-
Thanks for all the constructive feedback.
Jeremy, I wasn't exactly sure what you meant by "working arrow keys" do you mean having permanently displayed keys at the side or bottom of the image? Or do you mean being able to move forward or back using the arrow keys on the keyboard? There are already forward and back arrows which appear at the left and right side of the image. When designing the site I wasn't sure that I wanted anything distracting from the images, so I wanted them to disappear when the user didn't have the mouse over the top of them. One suggestion that a friend has made is that I have a slide show option, although personally I haven't always been a fan of that feature.
I'm planning to add a blog button in between the news and about sections in the coming month.
Derryck.
I meant the left and right arrow keys on the keyboard, which should take you to the previous or next photo. I don't have (very) many fetishes, but that's one of them. It's just easier to lean back in my chair and look at the images, keeping one hand on the keyboard, than it is to use the mouse.
I like the way you've made the onscreen clutter disappear. FWIW, I agree with you about the slideshow feature (I think I'm quite capable of deciding for myself when I've looked at a shot for long enough), but I suspect we are in a small minority.
Jeremy
-
I think Jeremy may have an aversion to rodents, so he hates bringing his hand in contact with his "mouse" if he can possibly avoid it. "Keyboard" has no such frightening associations.
Eric
-
Hi Jeremy,
I asked my website guy if he could do it but it's going to cost me a couple of hours of his time and I'm just not sure that your need to use the arrow keys is worth that much to me. I need to save my money for a "blog" button.
Derryck.
-
Hi Jeremy,
I asked my website guy if he could do it but it's going to cost me a couple of hours of his time and I'm just not sure that your need to use the arrow keys is worth that much to me.
I'm deeply hurt at your dismissal of my wishes!
But I expect I'll get over it. Your designer has done a fine job and the photos aren't too shabby either.
Jeremy
-
I did not bother waiting for the lengthy flash load, and can't comment. But if others are having navigation problems, I would suggest getting this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Make-Me-Think-U...8624&sr=8-1 (http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Make-Me-Think-Usability/dp/0321344758/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255878624&sr=8-1)
And ask your web designer if he has read it.
You may also find other nuggets here:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=13890 (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13890)
Caution: This is an old thread, and many reviewed sites might have been revised by now.