Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on October 11, 2009, 12:04:39 pm

Title: Still Life
Post by: RSL on October 11, 2009, 12:04:39 pm
[attachment=17134:StillLife.jpg]

And, yes, I tried a version that crops the top third. Didn't particularly like it.
Title: Still Life
Post by: button on October 11, 2009, 08:50:37 pm
I think this shot works pretty well compositionally, but the harsh lighting somewhat interferes with my reading of the photo.  One thing I noticed immediately: the boot looks a bit washed out, perhaps secondary to lens flare.  

I can't figure out what the elements in the top right 1/5 add to the image.  What do you see here?  I see them as the third point in a triangle, but I don't see their relevance, and they lead me away from the main subjects.  Have you tried a crop of just those elements?  I think the sash around the drapes matters, and I certainly wouldn't crop that, as it implies an abstract waistline.

I think that if you reshoot this in less contrasty light, or perhaps repost as a B/W, your image would show more strength.


John
Title: Still Life
Post by: RSL on October 12, 2009, 01:51:30 pm
Quote from: button
I think this shot works pretty well compositionally, but the harsh lighting somewhat interferes with my reading of the photo.  One thing I noticed immediately: the boot looks a bit washed out, perhaps secondary to lens flare.  

I can't figure out what the elements in the top right 1/5 add to the image.  What do you see here?  I see them as the third point in a triangle, but I don't see their relevance, and they lead me away from the main subjects.  Have you tried a crop of just those elements?  I think the sash around the drapes matters, and I certainly wouldn't crop that, as it implies an abstract waistline.

I think that if you reshoot this in less contrasty light, or perhaps repost as a B/W, your image would show more strength.


John

John, It's not lens flare; it's window flare. I probably shouldn't have posted this, but it was one of the funniest window displays I've seen in a long time. I can't re-shoot since they've modified the thing, and nothing, including conversion to B&W is going to strengthen it enough to make it worth more than a quick laugh. To improve the composition I'd have to have shot it as an HDR so I could bring up the background and bring down the foreground, but it didn't seem worth the trouble.
Title: Still Life
Post by: deeyas on October 12, 2009, 03:08:55 pm
Quote from: RSL
To improve the composition I'd have to have shot it as an HDR so I could bring up the background and bring down the foreground, but it didn't seem worth the trouble.

By "shot it as an HDR...", do you mean a bracketed-shot? If this was shot in RAW, it would still be possible to make virtual copies (in LR) and adjust the exposure levels of those copies. Then create an HDR or exposure blend from those.
Title: Still Life
Post by: button on October 12, 2009, 03:55:35 pm
Quote from: RSL
it was one of the funniest window displays I've seen in a long time.

Yeah, that little elephant makes it for me.  
Title: Still Life
Post by: RSL on October 12, 2009, 04:06:57 pm
Quote from: deeyas
By "shot it as an HDR...", do you mean a bracketed-shot? If this was shot in RAW, it would still be possible to make virtual copies (in LR) and adjust the exposure levels of those copies. Then create an HDR or exposure blend from those.

Sayeed, Actually, I can get almost there with Shadows/Highlights. Problem is, it isn't worth the trouble. Yes, I always shoot raw and sometimes I do what you're suggesting, though I often find layers with differing blend modes work at least as well.
Title: Still Life
Post by: RSL on October 12, 2009, 04:08:08 pm
Sory, double post.