Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: John R on October 10, 2009, 10:13:16 am

Title: Swimming in the sky
Post by: John R on October 10, 2009, 10:13:16 am
Double takes or swimming in the sky- that's what I thought I would subject you all to this morning. Taken this morning, it is nothing special, but it does turn your head for a while. Note mixture of stillness with movement, which really accentuates the uneasiness of what we are looking at.

JMR
Title: Swimming in the sky
Post by: button on October 10, 2009, 10:35:01 am
Man, that's a good shot.  I stared at it for quite some time, and I'm sure I'll go back to it again.  Lots of motion and excitement, plus an engaging "what's going on here" factor, make it a winner!

John
Title: Swimming in the sky
Post by: Justan on October 10, 2009, 11:59:26 am
Another excellent work!

Title: Swimming in the sky
Post by: wolfnowl on October 10, 2009, 12:47:54 pm
Well done, John!

Mike.
Title: Swimming in the sky
Post by: AndrewKulin on October 10, 2009, 12:59:29 pm
Wild!

First thing I focused on were the clouds and the v-shaped distortions made me think you were applying some of that technique you like to use on tree-trunks.  Eventually my eyes wandered on down to the three ducks and I clued into what was going on here.

Nicely done.

Andrew
Title: Swimming in the sky
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 10, 2009, 01:36:02 pm
Very cool! 
Title: Swimming in the sky
Post by: Ed Blagden on October 10, 2009, 03:11:02 pm
That's a great shot - the best I've seen on here for a while.  You are very good at seeing.

Ed
Title: Swimming in the sky
Post by: John R on October 10, 2009, 09:35:43 pm
Quote from: AndrewKulin
Wild!

First thing I focused on were the clouds and the v-shaped distortions made me think you were applying some of that technique you like to use on tree-trunks.  Eventually my eyes wandered on down to the three ducks and I clued into what was going on here.

Nicely done.

Andrew
Thank you all very much for the comments. I think Andrew got it, it is a simple reflection turned upside.
 
JMR
Title: Swimming in the sky
Post by: cmi on October 11, 2009, 06:59:48 am
You got me here John! I was first like: Ha! Has to be turned upside dow.... NO. The ducks are swimming properly, what trick has he used to get a upside-down reflection? I felt a little stupid until I, well, turned it, then it became clear. Interesting, the big ripples, and their absence where the ducks are swimming really make this irritation work.

Christian
Title: Swimming in the sky
Post by: MikePike on October 11, 2009, 07:04:20 am
Really, really good.
Title: Swimming in the sky
Post by: RSL on October 11, 2009, 09:14:03 am
The ducks make it clear (to coin a pun) that you fixed your lens. Very fine, John. Bravo!