Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: bellimages on October 07, 2009, 08:57:53 pm

Title: Changing Epson BLACK ink cartridges (matt/photo)
Post by: bellimages on October 07, 2009, 08:57:53 pm
I need to swap out the black inks on my Epson 7800 printer. Unfortunately the 7800 requires this stupid swap (when using various papers).

I threw out the "conversion" cartridges that came with the printer since I planned on using one type paper. But after two years, I've changed my mind. The manual says that I must install these cartridges to drain the ink from the 4 cartridges on the right side of the printer. It doesn't say what to do if you don't have the "conversion" cartridges.

Does anyone know what I need to do?
Title: Changing Epson BLACK ink cartridges (matt/photo)
Post by: wpp on October 27, 2009, 10:15:41 am
There is a method posted at Northlight Imaging that shows how to swap inks on the 7880 and 7800 without using the Epson instructions.
For 7880:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article..._black_ink.html (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/printer/7880-9880_swap_black_ink.html)
For 7800:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article..._black_ink.html (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/printer/7800-9800_swap_black_ink.html)
I have not tried this myself on my 7880 and would like to hear from someone who has.

Peter
Title: Changing Epson BLACK ink cartridges (matt/photo)
Post by: Scott O. on October 28, 2009, 11:16:54 am
There is a 'probably' similar method to change black inks in the 7600/9600 series without wasting any but black inks.  I used it for many years and it worked fine.  It is called "The African Method" among other names...I'm sure a Google search will find it.  I don't know if you can do any swap without the conversion cart, as the printer computer expects it to be in place.  Have you contacted Epson with your question?