Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: BlasR on October 07, 2009, 07:46:27 pm
-
We here today tomorrow you go
RIP MR Penn
http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/content_displ...8f3e52cc75cea1a (http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/content_display/photo-news/obituaries/e3ic70c81ff95d140b928f3e52cc75cea1a)
BlasR
-
Irving Penn was one of the true masters and I am surprised that nobody else has said replied to this thread. His contribution to photography was enormous.
-
Irving Penn was one of the true masters and I am surprised that nobody else has said replied to this thread. His contribution to photography was enormous.
Well, I have been a fashion and calendar photographer most of my career and I suppose I knew of Penn as well as anyone else did. But there was ever a problem. The problem was simply this: he was always feted with all the accolades but seldom did he actually seem to appear anywhere. For me, he was probably the world's best-known invisible photographer. Again, that's for me.
This is NOT any attempt to diminish the man, something I would never dream of doing, but knowing how the internet can distort opinion or even statement, I feel the need to stress that is not my intention.
Perhaps that is something others have found too; there is no slight or boycott, just little mental connection based on presence.
Rob C