Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: John R on October 07, 2009, 05:19:42 pm

Title: Something different
Post by: John R on October 07, 2009, 05:19:42 pm
Every once in a while I get a hankering to do something different with my images. A little experimentation goes a long way. And when it works, the effects can be striking. I am sure you can guess what I did with these images, so I won't bother explaining. I think the effect is like a Japanese block painting or something like that. Needless to say, it only works with some images and to certain degrees. The colour versions are not bad either. What do you think?

JMR
Title: Something different
Post by: wolfnowl on October 07, 2009, 06:38:58 pm
Very nice, John.  I like the simplicity of the B&W.  I think colour would definitely detract here.  As with anything it can be overused, but these images both work for me.

Mike.
Title: Something different
Post by: shutterpup on October 08, 2009, 03:59:41 pm
I usually do not care for the technique you use, but these are exquisite! May I download them to my wallpaper selections? Please?

Pup
Title: Something different
Post by: RSL on October 08, 2009, 05:04:57 pm
John, For someone with such a lousy lens you do pretty good work. You drag fascinating patterns out of that technique, my friend. It is good work.
Title: Something different
Post by: John R on October 08, 2009, 09:24:06 pm
Quote from: wolfnowl
Very nice, John.  I like the simplicity of the B&W.  I think colour would definitely detract here.  As with anything it can be overused, but these images both work for me.

Mike.
Your point is taken. That is in fact why I chose BW, the simplicity. Thanks for the comments.

JMR
Title: Something different
Post by: John R on October 08, 2009, 09:25:22 pm
Quote from: shutterpup
I usually do not care for the technique you use, but these are exquisite! May I download them to my wallpaper selections? Please?

Pup
Sure, go ahead. Thanks for the comments.

JMR
Title: Something different
Post by: John R on October 08, 2009, 09:28:05 pm
Quote from: RSL
John, For someone with such a lousy lens you do pretty good work. You drag fascinating patterns come out of that technique, my friend. It is good work.
Hey, how do you know what lens I used? Does the Exif show? Russ, I of course don't always shoot patterns or motion techniques. Thanks for the comments.

JMR
Title: Something different
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 09, 2009, 03:34:49 am
Quote from: John R
Every once in a while I get a hankering to do something different with my images. A little experimentation goes a long way. And when it works, the effects can be striking. I am sure you can guess what I did with these images, so I won't bother explaining. I think the effect is like a Japanese block painting or something like that. Needless to say, it only works with some images and to certain degrees. The colour versions are not bad either. What do you think?

JMR
I prefer the second, but I'd like it even more if the left-hand tree in the background didn't have the vertical dark band on the trunk. It seems to spoil the "dark in foreground, light in background" theme.

Jeremy
Title: Something different
Post by: francois on October 09, 2009, 04:19:05 am
Quote from: kikashi
I prefer the second, but I'd like it even more if the left-hand tree in the background didn't have the vertical dark band on the trunk. It seems to spoil the "dark in foreground, light in background" theme.

Jeremy
Initially, I liked the first one better but after a few minutes - side-by-side - I found the second one to be the best. I agree with your remark about the dark trunk.
But both images are very pleasant.
Title: Something different
Post by: geotzo on October 09, 2009, 06:03:34 am
Very nice indeed and very different to what we are mostly used to. I like it a lot
Title: Something different
Post by: cmi on October 09, 2009, 06:38:50 am
John, I like esp. the second, the graphic look emphasizes the delicateness of the plant structures very nicely! A nice result. But, the tree in the background doesn't add to this and reminds me that this still is a photo. This is a case where removing the tree altogether would proably make sense. Maybe then, the newly created white space would perfectly work alone, but in case not I could also imagine cloning some of the light plant structures (these between the dark black main plant parts, dont know how to say it better) to these upper areas. Hope this makes sense...

Christian
Title: Something different
Post by: RSL on October 09, 2009, 12:37:48 pm
John, I just suggested to Timo that he enter some of his beautiful black and whites in the current B&W Magazine portfolio contest. Then it struck me that they seem pretty receptive to the kind of thing you've been doing (beautiful stuff with a bad lens). Deadline is December 15, and you enter your photographs on a CD, which makes packaging and mailing pretty easy. You can read all about it at http://www.bandwmag.com/contest/index.html (http://www.bandwmag.com/contest/index.html) if you're interested. If you win it's a great way to get some exposure.
Title: Something different
Post by: shutterpup on October 09, 2009, 03:37:18 pm
Quote from: John R
Sure, go ahead. Thanks for the comments.

JMR


Thank you John. I won't abuse your trust.
Pup
Title: Something different
Post by: Derry on October 13, 2009, 11:42:45 am
very good work,, the longer I look the more it moves you into a mystic land, sort of haunting,,

Derry