Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: bill t. on October 07, 2009, 04:29:23 pm

Title: Art Criticism by the Numbers
Post by: bill t. on October 07, 2009, 04:29:23 pm
Big timesaver when you just can't find the right words.

http://www.pixmaven.com/phrase_generator.html (http://www.pixmaven.com/phrase_generator.html)
Title: Art Criticism by the Numbers
Post by: RSL on October 07, 2009, 04:51:51 pm
Bill, Interesting gadget, but from the testing I did I'd say it wasn't designed to descend into the same depths of incoherence and self-congratulation I see in actual artists' statements in museums. It needs work.
Title: Art Criticism by the Numbers
Post by: David Sutton on October 07, 2009, 05:47:00 pm
Quote from: RSL
Bill, Interesting gadget, but from the testing I did I'd say it wasn't designed to descend into the same depths of incoherence and self-congratulation I see in actual artists' statements in museums. It needs work.
Russ, just add a few extra words to the program's output and you'll pretty well get there. Here is my list.
Contra-indicated
Advisedly
Eponymous
Rictus
Matrix
Corruscating
Organic
Iconic
Ironic
Juxtaposition
Contemporary
Postmodern
Slippage
Dichotomy
Representational/abstract

I sense that the use of postmodern and contemporary vis a vis the almost organic relationship between the viewer and viewed, the iconic juxtaposition of non representational art and representational critique, is now contra-indicated. They have suffered slippage. How ironic.
David
Title: Art Criticism by the Numbers
Post by: AndrewKulin on October 07, 2009, 08:37:26 pm
I'm troubled by how the internal dynamic of the biomorphic forms verges on codifying a participation in the critical dialogue of the 90s.

Andrew
Title: Art Criticism by the Numbers
Post by: Nick Rains on October 07, 2009, 09:07:32 pm
Quote from: AndrewKulin
I'm troubled by how the internal dynamic of the biomorphic forms verges on codifying a participation in the critical dialogue of the 90s.

Andrew

Generate your own Post Modern Art here:

http://www.donrelyea.com/resampled_lo_fi_hilberts.htm (http://www.donrelyea.com/resampled_lo_fi_hilberts.htm)

and then write an essay about it here:

http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/ (http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/)

each time you load it you get a new essay.

Makes as much sense as some critiques I have read!
Title: Art Criticism by the Numbers
Post by: ckimmerle on October 08, 2009, 09:27:10 pm
If anyone is interested in some world class verbosity, the late, great Bill Jay (I sure will miss his Lenswork columns) wrote on this very subject:

http://www.billjayonphotography.com/MadonnaMadeMeDoIt.pdf (http://www.billjayonphotography.com/MadonnaMadeMeDoIt.pdf)

Great stuff.

Chuck