Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: John R on October 05, 2009, 04:30:16 pm

Title: Haliburton Highlands area
Post by: John R on October 05, 2009, 04:30:16 pm
I was also out in the area where Andrew was, but in the Highlands of Haliburton. Really a great area for Autumn shooting and sightseeing.
Here are three images from my time there. The first is a simple pan shot, slightly brightened to retain the lightness of the effect and the ethereal quality I wanted to convey; the second is simply waiting for the wind to blow and create the band of glitter in the water; the third is taken in a gentle rain and thus the rain drop circles.

JMR
Title: Haliburton Highlands area
Post by: jule on October 05, 2009, 05:34:28 pm
Thanks for these John.

I hope you don't mind but I have an alternate suggestion for the third image - just to get an idea of isolating colour and texture. You can yourself play with aspect ratio's and corresponding balance of colour within the image.

[attachment=16973:Oct_4_09...copycrop.jpg]

Julie
Title: Haliburton Highlands area
Post by: John R on October 05, 2009, 06:04:24 pm
Quote from: jule
Thanks for these John.

I hope you don't mind but I have an alternate suggestion for the third image - just to get an idea of isolating colour and texture. You can yourself play with aspect ratio's and corresponding balance of colour within the image.

Julie
I have many such images, where colour and texture are the subject, and sometimes I do choose to depict it that way. But sometimes I want to show parts of nature as it is. But I do like the crop. Thanks for the comments.
Title: Haliburton Highlands area
Post by: button on October 05, 2009, 08:20:49 pm
I like #3- the contrast between the color forms and the well defined shoreline works for me.

Johh
Title: Haliburton Highlands area
Post by: BlackSmith on October 06, 2009, 02:03:39 am
JMR,

Love the raindrops, and I agree that the point adds to the photo. Maybe it's the stump on the far side of the point adding dissonance to the composition?

Sean
Title: Haliburton Highlands area
Post by: jasonrandolph on October 06, 2009, 02:49:05 am
All three are well executed.  I would leave #3 exactly as it is.  Amazing use of reflection!
Title: Haliburton Highlands area
Post by: francois on October 06, 2009, 04:11:32 am
I also like the reflection in #3. I find that it resembles (with different colors) northern lights photos. The rain drops add somehting dynamic to the otherwise very calm image.

The "frosty" surface on the water of photo #2 is intriguing. I like its horizontal nature vs the vertical trees.
Title: Haliburton Highlands area
Post by: John R on October 06, 2009, 08:36:56 am
Quote from: francois
I also like the reflection in #3. I find that it resembles (with different colors) northern lights photos. The rain drops add somehting dynamic to the otherwise very calm image.

The "frosty" surface on the water of photo #2 is intriguing. I like its horizontal nature vs the vertical trees.
Thanks all for the comments.

I think Francois hit it on the head, the reflection would be good on its own but would lack the dynamic quality without the raindrops. No-2 is part of a series as I could not resist the everchanging ripple patterns created by the wind against a dark sea of green. If my lens was long enough I would have shot the patterns in the water as subjects in themselves.

Hey Blacksmith, I did not see the stump until I did my review at home. Would I have avoided it if I was aware  of it? I would certainly try. But the reflections and raindrops are what drew me to take the photo and it was impossible to avoid the stump with that composition.

JMR
Title: Haliburton Highlands area
Post by: RSL on October 06, 2009, 10:24:47 am
John, I'm a raindrop guy too. I'll vote for #3 along with the majority. All three shots are good, though at first I assumed you'd shot them in reverse order, but dropped your camera between the second and third.
Title: Haliburton Highlands area
Post by: John R on October 06, 2009, 12:43:07 pm
Quote from: RSL
John, I'm a raindrop guy too. I'll vote for #3 along with the majority. All three shots are good, though at first I assumed you'd shot them in reverse order, but dropped your camera between the second and third.
I did.I dropped the camera quite a few times on this trip and I have images to prove it!  And while changing lenses I got dust on my sensor and now I have to clone out a lot of dust  Yeah Russ, the problem is, I try to post images in the order I wish to comment on them, but they seem to have a life of their own and place themselves in the order they want.

JMR