Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on October 01, 2009, 05:45:05 pm

Title: log
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 01, 2009, 05:45:05 pm
Another try at a log photo, taken thousands of miles from the last one (though just a few feet from the crab I posted recently). C&C welcome, particularly on the toning.

[attachment=16929:log.jpg]

Jeremy
Title: log
Post by: AndrewKulin on October 01, 2009, 10:18:47 pm
Quote from: kikashi
Another try at a log photo, taken thousands of miles from the last one (though just a few feet from the crab I posted recently). C&C welcome, particularly on the toning.

[attachment=16929:log.jpg]

Jeremy

Great effect with the softness of the sand contrasting against the sea and the even more contrasty/textured log.  Minor nit would be the presence of the stick at the far left just below the waterline - but easily cloned out.

Andrew
Title: log
Post by: RSL on October 02, 2009, 11:05:06 am
Jeremy, Not bad. That log really looks like a log. Only problem I see is that on my monitor at least the protruding hunk that points toward the upper left looks blown out. It's hard to tell, though, at 72 ppi.
Title: log
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 03, 2009, 12:13:34 pm
Quote from: RSL
Jeremy, Not bad. That log really looks like a log. Only problem I see is that on my monitor at least the protruding hunk that points toward the upper left looks blown out. It's hard to tell, though, at 72 ppi.
Damn! I thought I'd mastered the tiara effect.

You're right, it does look blown out. LR assures me that R, G and B are all somewhere in the 95-98% range, but it may be that that's as close to blown as makes no real difference. Anyway, I've added a brush adjustment to that bit of the log to lower the exposure and brightness, and it looks better.

Andrew, you're right about both the presence of the stick and the ease with which it could be cloned out.

I've also added a touch of vignette, which I think improves it:

[attachment=16944:log2.jpg]

Thanks

Jeremy