Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: AndrewKulin on September 28, 2009, 07:28:39 pm

Title: Is there any way to get Photoshop to save editied files in the same directory as the file you opened is located?
Post by: AndrewKulin on September 28, 2009, 07:28:39 pm
I cannot find the answer to this anywhere and maybe someone here can help.

Scenario:

- Using CS3, I open a file from a directory, say C:\Pictures\2009-08-14.  It can be any format, say DNG.
- I make edits to the image and then save as a Tiff or PSD or whichever.
- If I am not paying attention, the file is saved to the last directory that I may have saved a file within, say it was the directory C:\Photos\test

Is there any way to get Photoshop to behave such that if I open a file from a directory such as C:\Pictures\2009-08-14, when I go to save it as something else,  it bloody well saves the new file in the same directory where the original came from (C:\Pictures\2009-08-14).  It's maddening.

Andrew
Title: Is there any way to get Photoshop to save editied files in the same directory as the file you opened is located?
Post by: walter.sk on September 28, 2009, 08:34:25 pm
Quote from: AndrewKulin
I cannot find the answer to this anywhere and maybe someone here can help.

Scenario:

- Using CS3, I open a file from a directory, say C:\Pictures\2009-08-14.  It can be any format, say DNG.
- I make edits to the image and then save as a Tiff or PSD or whichever.
- If I am not paying attention, the file is saved to the last directory that I may have saved a file within, say it was the directory C:\Photos\test

Is there any way to get Photoshop to behave such that if I open a file from a directory such as C:\Pictures\2009-08-14, when I go to save it as something else,  it bloody well saves the new file in the same directory where the original came from (C:\Pictures\2009-08-14).  It's maddening.

Andrew
I have the same question, and the "feature" continues with CS4.  The only way I have found to deal with it is to do a "Save As" the first time I open a file from a given folder, and then navigate back to that folder.  I get miffed when I forget to do that, but I don't think Adobe would want to change that.  It would sure be nice to have the option, though, maybe under Options>File Handling.
Title: Is there any way to get Photoshop to save editied files in the same directory as the file you opened is located?
Post by: Panopeeper on September 28, 2009, 08:45:17 pm
Quote from: AndrewKulin
- Using CS3, I open a file from a directory, say C:\Pictures\2009-08-14.  It can be any format, say DNG.
- I make edits to the image and then save as a Tiff or PSD or whichever.
- If I am not paying attention, the file is saved to the last directory that I may have saved a file within, say it was the directory C:\Photos\test
Something is fishy. I just made several tries with CS3, opening a file from different drives and folders; when Save As, it starts out with the input folder each time.
Title: Is there any way to get Photoshop to save editied files in the same directory as the file you opened is located?
Post by: AndrewKulin on September 28, 2009, 10:12:42 pm
Quote from: Panopeeper
Something is fishy. I just made several tries with CS3, opening a file from different drives and folders; when Save As, it starts out with the input folder each time.

Darn it - you are correct.

It's when I have been opening files up from Bridge that this is happening.  

Andrew

p.s. - So is there a way to do what I want to do when opening via Bridge?
Title: Is there any way to get Photoshop to save editied files in the same directory as the file you opened is located?
Post by: walter.sk on September 29, 2009, 10:50:02 am
Quote from: AndrewKulin
Darn it - you are correct.

It's when I have been opening files up from Bridge that this is happening.  

Andrew

p.s. - So is there a way to do what I want to do when opening via Bridge?

I almost always open my files from the Bridge, unless I use the Open Recent list from CS4.  I will have to check out all of the variables and see what happens.  In addition, I sometimes use Lightroom, and I wonder how all three programs interact.  As soon as I have tried all of the combinations I'll post the results.