Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: cmi on September 28, 2009, 10:43:42 am

Title: Szenc
Post by: cmi on September 28, 2009, 10:43:42 am
n/t
Title: Szenc
Post by: jasonrandolph on September 28, 2009, 11:43:24 am
Christian, I like the subject chosen and the overall feel of the image.  I would like to see a bit more foreground.  Also, maybe place the subject tree off-center a bit.  Depending on what lies outside the edges, that may or may not have been possible.  I think you would have more emotional impact if you were to do these things.
Title: Szenc
Post by: JeffKohn on September 28, 2009, 11:55:24 am
The framing seems a little tight, but I know how hard it can be to shoot subjects like this without unwanted distractions coming into the frame. I think the shadows could use a bit of a lift; it's not that anything's clipped to black, the scene just seems a little too 'dim'.
Title: Szenc
Post by: button on September 28, 2009, 12:27:17 pm
I have to agree with Jeff- things seem a bit dim, especially the face of the dominant tree.  I think this allows the brightness of the sky to overpower the image.  

Also, I think I see a theme here- the directions of the branches of the various trees create some compositional motion.  Given that, I think that the tree far left distracts from this effect.  

Overall, this image conveys a somewhat baleful mood to me, so lifting the shadows too much could ruin that.  

Well done.

John
Title: Szenc
Post by: John R on October 06, 2009, 10:17:20 am
I love trees and I like this tree, however, it is too dark; especially when contrasted with the background which is beautifully lit. And that is a problem, when the main subject is not well lit and the background is, sort of like a model or flower that needs fill-in to complete the lighting. About the dark shadows in the right foreground, nothing wrong with them if they are strategically arranged in the picture space and do not compete with other elements. I find in this image, the dark area is too pronounced and draws too much attention to itself.

JMR
Title: Szenc
Post by: cmi on October 06, 2009, 12:57:08 pm
Quote from: John R
I love trees and I like this tree, however, it is too dark; especially when contrasted with the background which is beautifully lit. And that is a problem, when the main subject is not well lit and the background is, sort of like a model or flower that needs fill-in to complete the lighting. About the dark shadows in the right foreground, nothing wrong with them if they are stragecally arranged in the picture space and do not compete with other elements. I find in this image, the dark area is too pronounced and draws too much attention to itself.

JMR

Thank you John for pointing out this light issue, I had not thought about it this way. Yes, in this case thats basically a non-fixable problem on its own. Maybe I will come back to the place...

Christian