Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: John R on September 27, 2009, 11:10:44 pm

Title: Autumn impressions
Post by: John R on September 27, 2009, 11:10:44 pm
A series from the last few days. None are meant to be literal, they are just impressions.

JMR
Title: Autumn impressions
Post by: JeffKohn on September 27, 2009, 11:33:58 pm
I like the second one a lot; wonderful color.
Title: Autumn impressions
Post by: eleanorbrown on September 27, 2009, 11:42:48 pm
Same for me...second one is really nice!! how did you get this effect? Eleanor

Quote from: JeffKohn
I like the second one a lot; wonderful color.
Title: Autumn impressions
Post by: wolfnowl on September 28, 2009, 01:22:10 am
One more vote for the 2nd one.  I think Monet would like it a lot!  Of course he was blind, but don't hold that as a criticism!    

Mike,
Title: Autumn impressions
Post by: John R on September 28, 2009, 07:46:46 am
Quote from: eleanorbrown
Same for me...second one is really nice!! how did you get this effect? Eleanor

Eleanor, I essentially do this one of three ways. I take two images and sandwich them, creating a composite. One image in focus, the other out of focus to taste (experiment), each about half the exposure. The second way is to create a duplicate image and apply Gausian blur and adjust to taste. I conciously take one or two overexposed images if I feel the subject warrants it. It works with properly exposed images, but it is harder to do and becomes subject to artifacts and banding if manipulated too much. The third way is do a double or triple exposure, essentially doing the same as in first technique. You have to experiment and it works best avoiding black or white areas of sky and using overcast lighting with soft or no shadows. I include two samples. Note one is a simple in-camera double exposure, which is a more subtle look. You can increase the out of focus exposure if you want a more pronounced softness. And the second is composite of a double and straight shot, which exaggerates the effects. I like the dreamy look. You can do the same with Gausian blur. And you can correct the colours if you wish.

BTW, had a look at your site, some intertesting work there. I like the Painted trees series. I have some examples on my site as well. Will have to check out your site more.
 
JMR - http://lusalight.smugmug.com/ (http://lusalight.smugmug.com/)
Title: Autumn impressions
Post by: John R on September 28, 2009, 07:55:20 am
Quote from: wolfnowl
One more vote for the 2nd one.  I think Monet would like it a lot!  Of course he was blind, but don't hold that as a criticism!    

Mike,
I did not know he was blind. Anyway, thanks for the comments, Mike and Jeff.

JMR
Title: Autumn impressions
Post by: jasonrandolph on September 28, 2009, 11:57:11 am
I like the last three a lot.  The fourth image gave me the impression that it's tilted a bit to the right, but I think this is because of the rolling hills.  I think the mood you created with your technique is unique and quite good.
Title: Autumn impressions
Post by: button on September 28, 2009, 12:15:09 pm
I like all of them, but especially #4- I think the gritty look of this one works well.

John
Title: Autumn impressions
Post by: eleanorbrown on September 28, 2009, 12:15:53 pm
Thanks!  I have a series called "painted light" where I use in camera movement, subject movement (water, wind, etc) to create impressionistic images.  am always interested what others do to get their impressionistic effects. Eleanor

Quote from: John R
Eleanor, I essentially do this one of three ways. I take two images and sandwich them, creating a composite. One image in focus, the other out of focus to taste (experiment), each about half the exposure. The second way is to create a duplicate image and apply Gausian blur and adjust to taste. I conciously take one or two overexposed images if I feel the subject warrants it. It works with properly exposed images, but it is harder to do and becomes subject to artifacts and banding if manipulated too much. The third way is do a double or triple exposure, essentially doing the same as in first technique. You have to experiment and it works best avoiding black or white areas of sky and using overcast lighting with soft or no shadows. I include two samples. Note one is a simple in-camera double exposure, which is a more subtle look. You can increase the out of focus exposure if you want a more pronounced softness. And the second is composite of a double and straight shot, which exaggerates the effects. I like the dreamy look. You can do the same with Gausian blur. And you can correct the colours if you wish.

BTW, had a look at your site, some intertesting work there. I like the Painted trees series. I have some examples on my site as well. Will have to check out your site more.
 
JMR - http://lusalight.smugmug.com/ (http://lusalight.smugmug.com/)
Title: Autumn impressions
Post by: JeffKohn on September 28, 2009, 12:45:41 pm
John I think the two you added in your followup post are even better than some of the ones from the first set. I think the tones and colors in those last two are particularly well-suited to this treatment. I especially like the composition of last one, with the layers created by the yellow plants, the different-colored grasses, and the creek. The red bushes add a nice accent to round out the image.
Title: Autumn impressions
Post by: RSL on September 28, 2009, 12:52:49 pm
Quote from: John R
I did not know he was blind. Anyway, thanks for the comments, Mike and Jeff.
JMR

John, Did you drop your camera again? (Kidding. They're very nice.) I really like #2 by the way.

Mike's right, but Monet was quite old when he went blind. An operation recovered his sight, but I don't think he painted again after that.