Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: byork on September 27, 2009, 10:00:34 pm
-
Boots up the bum accepted with humility and grace......pats on the back accepted with joy and satisfaction.
Cheers
Brian
-
Brian,
I really like this photo. What makes it work for me is the quality of the light and the overall composition, with the fence doing the job of leading the eye in. Also, the desaturation works well.
However it is a shame that the foreground looks out of focus. I can live with the nearest part of the fence being off, but not the jogger, who is the main subject. Also I think the image needs to be tilted a bit clockwise.
But overall, I still like it.
Ed
-
Brian,
I really like this photo. What makes it work for me is the quality of the light and the overall composition, with the fence doing the job of leading the eye in. Also, the desaturation works well.
However it is a shame that the foreground looks out of focus. I can live with the nearest part of the fence being off, but not the jogger, who is the main subject. Also I think the image needs to be tilted a bit clockwise.
But overall, I still like it.
Ed
Hi Ed,
It never struck me that this was tilted but now you mention it, I can see it is ever so slightly. I too like this photo because it depicts what is good about city life in Sydney....open space on the harbour yet right next to the CBD. This shot was taken from Mrs Macquaries Point overlooking Farm Cove...the Botanical Gardens are to the left of the frame, and Opera House & Bridge to the right.We are blessed with a climate here that encourages people to do just what this guy is doing, and the late afternoon is a great time time to be out and about, as the light conveys. As for the jogger being a bit soft...well that could be a good argument why the shot fails and perhaps I shouldn't show it, but if a fuzzy shot of a good idea is better than a sharp shot of a fuzzy one, it might just be enough to make it worth posting.
Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.
Cheers
Brian
-
a fuzzy shot of a good idea is better than a sharp shot of a fuzzy one
Amen to that!
-
I think that the midground boat complicates things a bit, but overall, I like the shot. Compositionally, you have otherwise balance the elements well. One thing, and maybe this is the uncalibrated monitor that I'm using at the moment: is there a green tinge to the jogger's leg?
John
-
I think that the midground boat complicates things a bit, but overall, I like the shot. Compositionally, you have otherwise balance the elements well. One thing, and maybe this is the uncalibrated monitor that I'm using at the moment: is there a green tinge to the jogger's leg?
John
John,
On my calibrated monitor, there doesn't seem to be....but I'd be interested in your comments when you get back to your own monitor. Here's a revision after straightening the tilt Ed picked up and a WB adjustment to convey the warm light I intended.
Cheers
Brian