Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Michael West on September 15, 2009, 11:57:53 pm

Title: Mt Tam Ridges
Post by: Michael West on September 15, 2009, 11:57:53 pm


 

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2423/3902326931_63c06bbdc0_o.jpg)
 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41811370@N02/3902326931/)
Title: Mt Tam Ridges
Post by: PeterAit on September 16, 2009, 09:58:43 am
Quote from: Michael West

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2423/3902326931_63c06bbdc0_o.jpg)
 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41811370@N02/3902326931/)

That's a very nice scene. have you tried croppiing off the sky at the top to see what it looks like? Also, the haze at the left is disturbing, although I am not sure what you can do about it.

Peter
Title: Mt Tam Ridges
Post by: Michael West on September 16, 2009, 11:00:10 am
Quote from: PeterAit
That's a very nice scene. have you tried croppiing off the sky at the top to see what it looks like? Also, the haze at the left is disturbing, although I am not sure what you can do about it.

Peter


The reprocessed  image.


(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2459/3926333852_29d6078005_o.jpg)
 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41811370@N02/3926333852/)
Title: Mt Tam Ridges
Post by: JeffKohn on September 16, 2009, 12:44:55 pm
It's a nice image. I prefer the original processing, as I feel the slightly lower contrast perfectly captures the impression of a hazy late-afternoon in the summer. The repeating ridges of the hills are great, and perfectly lit. I also like the shafts of sunlight at the top. Scrolling the browser window to remove the sky I don't like the result; you need the sky there at the top; and it's a small enough amount that its brightness isn't a problem (in fact it further enhances that feeling of summer I mentioned).
Title: Mt Tam Ridges
Post by: vorlich on September 17, 2009, 09:41:11 am
The composition is beautifully balanced, the original processing is more sympathetic, although I agree the lack of contrast on the left is a little distracting, you may be able to compensate for this locally in PS.
Title: Mt Tam Ridges
Post by: customminds on September 17, 2009, 12:17:17 pm
wonderful hills/ridges.  Nothing like that in Houston.