Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on September 14, 2009, 02:58:55 pm

Title: oxford
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 14, 2009, 02:58:55 pm
A couple from last weekend, taken with the G10. A pain to use after a 5DII, but not a bad little performer.

[attachment=16569:new_2.jpg]  [attachment=16568:new.jpg]

C&C welcome, as ever.

Jeremy
Title: oxford
Post by: Chairman Bill on September 14, 2009, 05:05:56 pm
Were the balloons through the window of the first shot a deliberate part of the framing?

I quite like them both, and they confirm for me the quality of the G10.
Title: oxford
Post by: RSL on September 15, 2009, 10:18:08 am
Jeremy, Good work. I don't often see such fine control of mid-tones.
Title: oxford
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 15, 2009, 11:31:03 am
Jeremy,

Good images, both. I find the first more interesting, and I'm quite impressed with your holding of both shadows and highlights.

You certainly have your G10 under better control than I do.

Eric

Title: oxford
Post by: francois on September 15, 2009, 06:56:23 pm
Two very good photos. My preference also goes to the first one.
Title: oxford
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 16, 2009, 05:07:07 pm
Thank you, all! Yes, the balloons were deliberately framed: they were floating there (over some wine glass, which you can't really see) in preparation for pre-dinner drinks at the conference I was attending.

I'm not sure how much credit I can claim for the quality of the tones: the G10 is a point-and-shoot, so I pointed it and shot before applying pretty minimal post processing in LR. I was impressed by the way it held on to the shadow detail, though, particularly in the staircase shot.

Jeremy
Title: oxford
Post by: JeffKohn on September 17, 2009, 01:09:06 am
I like the first one quite a bit. The shadow detail is excellent, I like the tones in this image quite a lot. I also like the framing, with the bench and balloons visible through the openings. My only nitpick is that sliver of highlight on the left edge; I'd crop that out or at least clone/burn it so that it doesn't catch the eye.

The second image is not up the level of the first one, IMO. Aside from the black shadow in the arch and that white window frame, the rest of the tones are  kind of muddy. There's also a bit of keystoning from the slightly upwards-looking perspective. Finally, the composition isn't as clean as the other, with the door and some of the windows being cut off. Maybe that's just my anal side, but for me its those details that make or break a shot like this.
Title: oxford
Post by: vorlich on September 17, 2009, 09:38:25 am
Quote from: JeffKohn
I like the first one quite a bit. The shadow detail is excellent, I like the tones in this image quite a lot. I also like the framing, with the bench and balloons visible through the openings. My only nitpick is that sliver of highlight on the left edge; I'd crop that out or at least clone/burn it so that it doesn't catch the eye.

The second image is not up the level of the first one, IMO. Aside from the black shadow in the arch and that white window frame, the rest of the tones are  kind of muddy. There's also a bit of keystoning from the slightly upwards-looking perspective. Finally, the composition isn't as clean as the other, with the door and some of the windows being cut off. Maybe that's just my anal side, but for me its those details that make or break a shot like this.

I agree with Jeff's analysis. The first if definitely more successful, the G10 looks like a nice performer.