Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: dwood on September 13, 2009, 05:32:39 pm

Title: The Stonington fleet
Post by: dwood on September 13, 2009, 05:32:39 pm
This is the lobster fishing fleet in Stonington, Maine. Stonington is primarily known as a fishing village but interestingly enough, the town also has a number of art galleries that cater to the summer folks. It makes for quite an interesting mix of folks, as you might imagine. This picture was taken early Sunday morning. It was foggy and the air was full of drizzle. The sun was trying to punch through the cloud deck but it didn't last long.

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2647/3917316196_d9e9608989_o.jpg)
Title: The Stonington fleet
Post by: button on September 13, 2009, 05:45:56 pm
Looks really good.  I like the balance of the opposed symmetry- the bright sky top left vs the rocks bottom right, as well as the dominant tree line mid right vs the dominant rocks bottom left.  These, along with the left to right diagonal created by the rocks make the centered horizon work.  Tonality looks just right.  The only thing you might want to do is level the horizon.

Great shot!

John
Title: The Stonington fleet
Post by: dwood on September 13, 2009, 05:54:02 pm
Quote from: button
Looks really good.  I like the balance of the opposed symmetry- the bright sky top left vs the rocks bottom right, as well as the dominant tree line mid right vs the dominant rocks bottom left.  These, along with the left to right diagonal created by the rocks make the centered horizon work.  Tonality looks just right.  The only thing you might want to do is level the horizon.

Great shot!

John
I'll go back and tweak that horizon. I thought all was well with that but looks like it might be slightly high from left to right.

Thanks for your kind comments John.
Title: The Stonington fleet
Post by: wolfnowl on September 13, 2009, 06:12:48 pm
Quote from: button
Looks really good.  I like the balance of the opposed symmetry- the bright sky top left vs the rocks bottom right, as well as the dominant tree line mid right vs the dominant rocks bottom left.  These, along with the left to right diagonal created by the rocks make the centered horizon work.  Tonality looks just right.  The only thing you might want to do is level the horizon.

Great shot!

John
What John said - me too!

Mike.
Title: The Stonington fleet
Post by: dwood on September 13, 2009, 09:09:34 pm
Quote from: wolfnowl
What John said - me too!

Mike.
Thanks Mike.
Title: The Stonington fleet
Post by: jasonrandolph on September 14, 2009, 11:32:00 am
I'll echo what John said as well.  Nice image.
Title: The Stonington fleet
Post by: dwood on September 14, 2009, 01:04:13 pm
Quote from: jasonrandolph
I'll echo what John said as well.  Nice image.

Thanks Jason. I appreciate it.