Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: nicsut on September 12, 2009, 04:02:30 am
-
Having originally decided to embed the original RAW file in my DNGs on import into Lightroom, I have now decided that this is not desirable as my long term strategy ... (not looking for a discussion on the pros and cons of these decisions, original or current )
... but I cannot seem to find any way to just remove the embedded RAW from the DNG. I could extract the RAWs using DNG Converter and then re-import to Lightroom converting to DNG (or use DNG Converter to reconvert these RAWs to DNGs and then replace the origingal DNGs), however I am concerned over the affect this would have to my previous edits keywording etc in LR.
Any experience or advice greatfully received.
Nick
-
What about converting the DNG in DNG? One can change options this way, for example changing it from uncompressed to compressed, or changing compatibility level to be able to process the image with an older ACR version.
-
Gabor,
Thanks for the tip!
While LR does nothing when selecting a DNG and (re)executing "Convert to DNG...", DNG Converter does. It takes the original DNG and creates a new one, following the options selected (no embedded original RAW)! It does not however overwrite the original DNG, rather adding "_1" to the end of the filename. Not ideal but if a create these in a new folder, replicating the original file structure at least a get a set of DNGs withour the embedded RAWs and I can copy these back to the folder structure that LR points at (and then re-write xmp data to DNG).
Nick
-
Theres a freebee download called instant jpeg from raw, it extracts the embedded jpeg, whether it'll work on DNG I don't know but it's quick and easy to bulk extract on normal raw.
-
Theres a freebee download called instant jpeg from raw, it extracts the embedded jpeg, whether it'll work on DNG I don't know but it's quick and easy to bulk extract on normal raw.
Handy, but not quite what he had in mind.
Jeremy