Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: JeffKohn on September 11, 2009, 06:51:16 pm

Title: Deadwood and Wildflowers
Post by: JeffKohn on September 11, 2009, 06:51:16 pm
Another "small" landscape, this time in color.


Deadwood, Virginia Lakes Basin
(http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/image/117130443/original.jpg) (http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/image/117130443/original)
Title: Deadwood and Wildflowers
Post by: DarkPenguin on September 11, 2009, 07:12:44 pm
Feels a little tilted.  Other than that it is a lovely image.
Title: Deadwood and Wildflowers
Post by: John R on September 11, 2009, 07:17:38 pm
Love it. It's both dynamic and restful at the same time. Did you use a polarizer? I like some specular light on subjects, looks more natural. It took me years to realize that not all shots have to look deeply saturated. I got that hang up from shooting slides at a photo club.

JMR
Title: Deadwood and Wildflowers
Post by: dwood on September 11, 2009, 07:34:14 pm
That's a keeper Jeff. Very nice.
Title: Deadwood and Wildflowers
Post by: jasonrandolph on September 11, 2009, 07:42:29 pm
It does seem to be tilted to the left, but the contrast of colors makes this one pop.  Nice!
Title: Deadwood and Wildflowers
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 12, 2009, 12:12:46 am
Nice!
Title: Deadwood and Wildflowers
Post by: wolfnowl on September 12, 2009, 03:49:30 am
It does seem a bit tilted, but well done!

Mike.
Title: Deadwood and Wildflowers
Post by: vorlich on September 13, 2009, 10:20:59 am
Cracking shot! I think I can see what people are talking about wrt tilt, but it's great regardless.
Title: Deadwood and Wildflowers
Post by: RSL on September 13, 2009, 12:27:24 pm
It's a fine shot, Jeff. I don't understand why "tiltedness" makes any difference in a shot like this one. How about Winogrand's tilted people pictures. At first they look like mistakes, but if you look at them a few times the strangeness goes away.
Title: Deadwood and Wildflowers
Post by: JeffKohn on September 14, 2009, 11:36:56 am
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments.

For those who think the shot doesn't look level: try dragging your browser window partly off-screen so you can only see the right half of the image. Does it still look crooked? I can see how the slope of the ground on the left combined with the angle of branch can give the impression of being uneven.  I guess the image looks fine to me because I know that the ground on the left sloped off and wasn't flat. This is one of those shots where I don't think there's any true horizontal or vertical  indicators in the image; since I did level the camera when shooting I decided to just go with the as-shot angle. It may be off a fraction of a degree, but there's just no way to be sure.