Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Ed Blagden on September 11, 2009, 04:15:38 am

Title: Seascape
Post by: Ed Blagden on September 11, 2009, 04:15:38 am
Genuinely not sure about this one... C&C appreciated.

Ed

[attachment=16515:England_..._09_3837.jpg]
Title: Seascape
Post by: MikePike on September 11, 2009, 06:01:37 am
The white, overexposed band of colour through the centre of the frame is the downfall, for me.
Not sure how to have altered this? Possibly a lower angle or turning it into a landscape shot, bringing the white rocks/sand in to dominate the composition more. Still having the other blue and green shades above and below, but emphasising the detail that's missing.

Provisional thoughts anyhoo..

Mike
Title: Seascape
Post by: Dick Roadnight on September 11, 2009, 07:05:00 am
Quote from: Ed B
Genuinely not sure about this one... C&C appreciated.

Ed

[attachment=16515:England_..._09_3837.jpg]
Use a long lens to make the distant hills more noticeable.

Use a low angle to make more of the foreground

Use a view camera or a DOF merge or pan-and-stich to get it all in focus,

Use a polarising filter to make something of the sky

Try to find an interesting foreground

Try to find some perspective to lead the eye to a point of interest.
Title: Seascape
Post by: pete_truman on September 11, 2009, 08:36:11 am
A clear demonstration the the earth isn't flat! The horizon is curved, moreso than it should be.

There's little to guide my eyes into or through the picture and the sky adds little. Maybe rotating anti-clockwise a bit and using the strata to give the eye something to follow might have helped.

What did you have in mind when you clicked the shutter?
Title: Seascape
Post by: Ed Blagden on September 13, 2009, 01:37:49 pm
Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Use a long lens to make the distant hills more noticeable.

Use a low angle to make more of the foreground

Use a view camera or a DOF merge or pan-and-stich to get it all in focus,

Use a polarising filter to make something of the sky

Try to find an interesting foreground

Try to find some perspective to lead the eye to a point of interest.

Er... so you don't like it then?  
Title: Seascape
Post by: cmi on September 13, 2009, 05:07:58 pm
I almost wrote an answer to Dick's post as he posted it, but now I have to. For me it is simply an excellent critique, wich I can apply also to many many of my own work.

So a bit late, but thanks Dick!


Christian
Title: Seascape
Post by: DarkPenguin on September 13, 2009, 08:53:15 pm
The foreground is really dull and ugly.  Up through the rocks, I think.  But the sky is great.  If you ever composite things I would keep that sky.  Give it the Robsie treatment.  Put a half naked broad in the foreground.  That would spruce it up nicely.
Title: Seascape
Post by: vorlich on September 14, 2009, 02:48:40 pm
Without being as blunt as other's here, the foreground doesn't do it for me. I think a polariser to cut the reflections on the water would have helped. Photoshop's Shadows/Highlights tool would have reigned in the overexposed band of white rock. I think I can see what you were going for, with 'bands' across the image, I think it's quite tricky to pull off successfully.
Title: Seascape
Post by: DarkPenguin on September 14, 2009, 03:28:06 pm
I wonder if something couldn't be done with it in B+W.  Some selective dodging and burning ....
Title: Seascape
Post by: Chairman Bill on September 14, 2009, 04:53:35 pm
For me the lighting seems a bit flat. The detail in the rocks is amazing, but your shot shows none of that. Try returning in the evening & maybe shooting towards the sun.
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3143/2869607635_4732e0263d.jpg)