Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Ishmael. on September 10, 2009, 12:19:31 pm

Title: Malaysian boat trip series
Post by: Ishmael. on September 10, 2009, 12:19:31 pm
Hey so here is a reworking of the last pics I posted, with a few more to give it some context. These were taken at noon-time on a tiny boat, so conditions weren't exactly ideal. My friend is a cop in Sabah, Malaysia and we went on a trip together to a very remote island. As you can see, he's not in uniform and the other people on the boat (strangers to both of us) seemed to have no problem with the fact that he had a semi-automatic rifle with him....or that it was unattended next to the children. It's something you don't witness very often around New York City, where I'm from....it's that "cultural difference" I  trying to convey in these pictures.

C&C more than welcome
Title: Malaysian boat trip series
Post by: shutterpup on September 10, 2009, 12:33:36 pm
So, the children were staged? I wish you wouldn't have chopped the children's heads.
Title: Malaysian boat trip series
Post by: Ishmael. on September 10, 2009, 05:16:18 pm
not staged or prompted in any way...I can't speak their language

Quote from: shutterpup
So, the children were staged? I wish you wouldn't have chopped the children's heads.
Title: Malaysian boat trip series
Post by: cmi on September 10, 2009, 07:56:51 pm
#3 and #5 are ok. Not overwhelmingly interesting for me but they do work.

In #5 I expect to see the head of the child but it isn't there and Im stuck with that school bag. The perspective looks a bit sub-optimal. On the other hand I of course wonder about the gun there. Tought first you where after a child soldier statement or so.

In #3, well, everydays life, but with a gun.

What I like most however is what you tried to capture (also not everyone shoots people) and that you tried to convey a message, bravo for that! Just keep on going, practice is the key.

Christian