Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: shutterpup on September 05, 2009, 08:53:24 pm

Title: New Mexico
Post by: shutterpup on September 05, 2009, 08:53:24 pm
Title: New Mexico
Post by: cmi on September 06, 2009, 06:37:06 pm
Comeon, put it up again. Dont delete it even if it gets zero response. Sometimes it can take time until a meaningful answer forms.

Out of my head, the mood, the colors, very nice, the image has appeal, but I was not comfortable with the view, it didnt quite work compositionally for me. It had a nice background, and a nice foreground, but the center where the water was, that part was a bit empty for me, so nice scene, but the view not really focused on anything. Nevertheless a very good try, and you are getting better.

Christian
Title: New Mexico
Post by: RSL on September 06, 2009, 09:48:19 pm
Pup, I agree with Christian. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. As Christian said, sometimes it's a good idea to wait a bit before plunging in with a critique. There were some good things about that picture, but I think that what I'd have asked you is what you intended to convey when you shot it. I thought I'd give it another look or two before I asked the question.
Title: New Mexico
Post by: DarkPenguin on September 06, 2009, 11:55:44 pm
If it is the one I'm thinking of I simply couldn't identify the subject.  Was going to come back to it late.  (Um, like now, actually.)
Title: New Mexico
Post by: Ed Blagden on September 07, 2009, 04:15:19 am
Pup,

Why did you take down the picture?  It wasn't so bad!  From memory:

- Good colours and mood; I liked the relatively bright foreground contrasting with the gloom and doom laden background.
- Compositionally, you could happily lose that nearby strip of grass in the near foreground.  Also, unfortunately, the sky was not variegated enough so you could happily lose that too.
- The image looked quite low-res, like you had used a cameraphone or a small P&S.  Probably not the best equipment for landscape.

Ed
Title: New Mexico
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 07, 2009, 10:02:56 am
Now that I've had a chance to study it closely, I'd say that the right eye appears larger than the left.

I'm not sure why that particular emoticon says "New Mexico" more than any other, such as   .

Title: New Mexico
Post by: wolfnowl on September 07, 2009, 12:11:13 pm
Quote from: EricM
Now that I've had a chance to study it closely, I'd say that the right eye appears larger than the left.

I'm not sure why that particular emoticon says "New Mexico" more than any other, such as   .
Yes, I see what you mean... and the yellow may be oh so slightly oversaturated?  There is nice shadow detail in the lower right, though...
 

Mike.