Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: OSP on September 03, 2009, 07:08:22 am

Title: Epson 9900 with spectroproofer - how to
Post by: OSP on September 03, 2009, 07:08:22 am
Does anyone use the 9900 with the SP (IL20) to create valid, usable icc profile files? one's that can be used in photoshop, for example?
If so, how? As far as I see, the SP creates inside LUT for the printer's use.

Thanks.
Title: Epson 9900 with spectroproofer - how to
Post by: Jonathan Wienke on September 03, 2009, 03:30:18 pm
You wouldn't create a Photoshop-usable ICC profile until after the printer has been linearized. You'd need to find a software that can print a patch target, measure it with your device, and then calculate a profile after the linearization has been run.
Title: Epson 9900 with spectroproofer - how to
Post by: OSP on September 03, 2009, 03:37:06 pm
Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
You wouldn't create a Photoshop-usable ICC profile until after the printer has been linearized. You'd need to find a software that can print a patch target, measure it with your device, and then calculate a profile after the linearization has been run.
And which software do that? which software support the IL20? I couldn't find a single RIP that support it, to the icc file level.
Title: Epson 9900 with spectroproofer - how to
Post by: Jonathan Wienke on September 03, 2009, 03:50:00 pm
That's the problem. Finding profiling software (and RIPs) that support common hardware like an EyeOne for linearization and profiling is fairly easy. Off-the-beaten-path hardware makes software options much more limited, maybe nonexistent.
Title: Epson 9900 with spectroproofer - how to
Post by: OSP on September 03, 2009, 04:34:43 pm
Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
That's the problem. Finding profiling software (and RIPs) that support common hardware like an EyeOne for linearization and profiling is fairly easy. Off-the-beaten-path hardware makes software options much more limited, maybe nonexistent.

So, how did they produce a product - a spectroproofer from xrite model IL20 - that doesn't have any software to support it fully? what, I'm supposed to use it as place holder on my printer? had I known it, I would never think of buying it. I could have bought the i1Xtreme and be done with it.
Title: Epson 9900 with spectroproofer - how to
Post by: Czornyj on September 03, 2009, 05:06:18 pm
Quote from: Ori
So, how did they produce a product - a spectroproofer from xrite model IL20 - that doesn't have any software to support it fully? what, I'm supposed to use it as place holder on my printer? had I known it, I would never think of buying it. I could have bought the i1Xtreme and be done with it.

7900/9900 Spectroproofer is supported by EFI Colorproof XF 4.0 that can create media profiles, but overall it's a system for printing industry, not for photographic purposes. I'm not sure if there'll be any use of IL20 at all, and if there is any "normal" profiling solution that supports that spectrophotometer, but I'd ask Epson support.
Title: Epson 9900 with spectroproofer - how to
Post by: OSP on September 03, 2009, 06:18:22 pm
Quote from: Czornyj
7900/9900 Spectroproofer is supported by EFI Colorproof XF 4.0 that can create media profiles, but overall it's a system for printing industry, not for photographic purposes. I'm not sure if there'll be any use of IL20 at all, and if there is any "normal" profiling solution that supports that spectrophotometer, but I'd ask Epson support.

I see. so I need to spend another ~5000$ to use the colorproofer.
anybody have experiance with returning the IL20?
Title: Epson 9900 with spectroproofer - how to
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on September 04, 2009, 04:21:56 am
Quote from: Ori
I see. so I need to spend another ~5000$ to use the colorproofer.
anybody have experiance with returning the IL20?


You could feed Argyll with the CGAT files from the 9900 but it is unchartered territory I think.
http://www.argyllcms.com/ (http://www.argyllcms.com/)
No N-color profiles yet I believe but RGB-device profiles should be sufficient.

Not that the Epson solution or non-solution wasn't discussed here:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....;show=&st=0 (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33444&pid=272786&mode=threaded&show=&st=0)

There were complaints about the HP Z3100 bundle at the time it was introduced. But that one at least had some ICC profiling aboard, the calibration was perfect and affordable, better ICC profiling available. The Z3200 bundle improved on that, the Z3200-PS bundle has all.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/)


Title: Epson 9900 with spectroproofer - how to
Post by: Ryan Grayley on September 04, 2009, 05:01:51 am
Quote from: Ori
Does anyone use the 9900 with the SP (IL20) to create valid, usable icc profile files? one's that can be used in photoshop, for example?
If so, how? As far as I see, the SP creates inside LUT for the printer's use.

Last November I asked my dealer to give me a full demo of a 7900 with Spectroproofer including profiling my paper and using the profile to print one of my images.

The dealer used Profile Maker to produce the profile from the Spectroproofer measurements.
Title: Epson 9900 with spectroproofer - how to
Post by: ChuckT on September 04, 2009, 07:43:13 am
We were advise NOT to buy the Spectroproofer with the 9900 as it was not supported unless we were were makes actual Pre-Press proofs.  If we were (only) going to print photographs (we are a Photolab, duh) then a better solution was Profile Maker and an ISis, which we did purchase.

So far the canned profile (Premium Luster 260) for the 9900 has been remarkable.

cvt
Title: Epson 9900 with spectroproofer - how to
Post by: Lorenz on September 05, 2009, 03:36:51 pm
We are using EFI's ColorProof XF and Caldera GrandRIP+ with he SpectroProofer. Both work fine – but the XF setup ist just wonderful. Please keep in mind thta the SpectroProofer ist very, very much taylored towards proofing (closed loop cantract proofing). When looking for a more universal and economic solution i would highly recommend looking for an eye-one (plus may be an upgrade to an iO later on).

Cheers,

Lorenz
Title: Epson 9900 with spectroproofer - how to
Post by: edwinb on September 05, 2009, 03:46:07 pm
Efi gives amazing low delta e with the 9900, gmg works with it also, you could take the gamut file from these but why buy the calibration model If an eyeone does the job? They appear to be very stable machines anyway.
edwin