Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: AndrewKulin on September 01, 2009, 04:30:07 am

Title: Meme et Enfant
Post by: AndrewKulin on September 01, 2009, 04:30:07 am
I have been trying some street photography while in France.  Here is one attempt (at both a photograph and French (see title))

Andrew

[attachment=16345:Meme_et_...__Sarlat.jpg]
Title: Meme et Enfant
Post by: francois on September 01, 2009, 05:21:20 am
Quote from: AndrewKulin
I have been trying some street photography while in France.  Here is one attempt (at both a photograph and French (see title))

Andrew

[attachment=16345:Meme_et_...__Sarlat.jpg]
Andrew,
I like it very much. The highlighted cobblestone  street is like a red carpet and it guides the eyes to Mémé & kid. The photo might be better without the sky but I'm still split on that.
Title: Meme et Enfant
Post by: John R on September 01, 2009, 07:38:37 am
Quote from: francois
Andrew,
I like it very much. The highlighted cobblestone  street is like a red carpet and it guides the eyes to Mémé & kid. The photo might be better without the sky but I'm still split on that.
What is there not to like? A very fine photo. As to the sky, this is what I mean about some critiques being too much, there is nothing wrong with the slice of white sky in the photo. It's the last thing one notices if at all, and it does not detract one bit from the overall scene and the feeling of the scene, and that's what matters IMHO.

And may I ask what camera you use that allows the details of the shadows areas to come through so well? Or was this done In PP?

JMR
Title: Meme et Enfant
Post by: shutterpup on September 01, 2009, 09:40:29 am
About the slice of sky: I think it defines where the light down below is coming from. IMHO it's not distracting in any way. They look like they're following the yellow brick road, a la Dorothy.
Title: Meme et Enfant
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 01, 2009, 10:01:58 am
The sliver of sky balances the sunlight on the cobblestones and keeps the image from feeling too top-heavy, IMHO. The timing is perfect: Child with one foot raised and both figures leaning toward each other. Even the pigeon adds to the overall feeling.

Excellent!

Title: Meme et Enfant
Post by: JeffKohn on September 01, 2009, 10:11:11 am
I like it very much (and I'm not usually much of a fan for street photography). Everything has come together nicely, right down to the child being in mid-step. The pigeon is a nice touch as well. I like how the sunlit portion of the street creates a visual path through the frame. Even the location of the sunlight/shadow works very well; if the sewer grate had been partially in sunlight I think it would have been a minor distraction. As others have said I don't mind the sky at all. My only quibble is that I bet I'd like this even better in B/W.
Title: Meme et Enfant
Post by: Justan on September 01, 2009, 10:14:24 am
I like the use of low key color. It adds nuance and character. It might add to the photo if the Mémé's face was lightened just a tad. But maybe not.
Title: Meme et Enfant
Post by: jasonrandolph on September 01, 2009, 11:15:38 am
I'll echo what Jeff said.  I think this would look great in B&W.  Great shot.  The pigeon seals the deal for me.  Excellent shadow detail.
Title: Meme et Enfant
Post by: button on September 01, 2009, 12:27:45 pm
I think you nailed it!  Compositionally, I couldn't ask for more: great complementing lines, wonderful shadow/light balance, perfect timing, and artistic (presumably post) processing.  I'm only going to offer one technical nit, because this is the kind of feedback that I would personally want on a great photo.

There appears to be just a bit of lens distortion and/or a slight tilt in the way you held the camera, as evidenced by the not quite vertical lines , especially on the right.

I suspect that you saw this shot and reacted, given the timing requirement, and again, I only offer the above as an observation to help you fine tune your craft, not to take away from an otherwise masterful shot.  

Superb!

John
Title: Meme et Enfant
Post by: RSL on September 01, 2009, 12:36:24 pm
Andrew, Bravo! It's a very fine street shot. The backlight is exceptionally fine. Keep it up. Do some more.
Title: Meme et Enfant
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 01, 2009, 03:04:31 pm
Quote from: RSL
Andrew, Bravo! It's a very fine street shot. The backlight is exceptionally fine. Keep it up. Do some more.
I agree, and contrary to my usual view, I like it with your subdued colours.

And I'm jealous. I was in Sarlat last Tuesday: it rained heavily and continuously and I managed pretty much a first for me in France, of having a mediocre, over-priced lunch.

Jeremy
Title: Meme et Enfant
Post by: Colorwave on September 01, 2009, 03:33:50 pm
Fabulous shot.  What a wonderful composition.  I'd prefer it with more or less color than you have chosen, but that's a minor nit to pick.  This is the essence of what great street photography should be.  You promise that you didn't have them marching through this alley time and again until you were happy with the shot?  If you didn't, make sure to give your shutter finger my kudos.
Title: Meme et Enfant
Post by: AndrewKulin on September 02, 2009, 03:28:59 am
Thanks for the feedback.  


John R. - "And may I ask what camera you use that allows the details of the shadows areas to come through so well? Or was this done In PP?"


Canon 40D/ISO 400 - slightly underexposed (this was the low end of a -2-0+2 hand-held High-speed HDR exposure).  Camera RAW default settings all-round - right into Photoshop (after a minor crop) and simply a B+W adjustment layer (Red Filter) at 70% opacity.


EricM - "The timing is perfect: Child with one foot raised and both figures leaning toward each other."


I actually waited for the young boy to raise his foot as captured.  Even with high-speed shooting, the child's foot was down by the time of the second shot, say 1/5 second (or less) later.  


button - "There appears to be just a bit of lens distortion and/or a slight tilt in the way you held the camera, as evidenced by the not quite vertical lines , especially on the right."

Dave - As I mentioned above, other than the 70% B&W treatment in Photoshop and a crop I carried out no post-processing.  I am using a laptop here and will wait till I get home to do anything substantive on any of the photos I am taking while on holiday.  The not so vertical lines may be lens distortion or may be the nature of the old construction (e.g., drain pipe at right edge which appears quite tilted over its bottom length).


Colorwave - "You promise that you didn't have them marching through this alley time and again until you were happy with the shot?"

The people were easy.  But do you know what they charge here for a trained pigeon?  It's outrageous!

Andrew
Title: Meme et Enfant
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 02, 2009, 11:06:06 am
Quote from: AndrewKulin
The people were easy.  But do you know what they charge here for a trained pigeon?  It's outrageous!
So do you put your trained pigeon in your checked baggage or in your carry-on?