Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: jasonrandolph on August 31, 2009, 12:13:55 pm

Title: Stillness, Puget Sound
Post by: jasonrandolph on August 31, 2009, 12:13:55 pm
This is an older shot that I came across in my Lightroom library.  The nice thing about RAW is you can go back and start from scratch years later, which is what I did here.  This is from an older DSLR, so resolution isn't great and it won't stand up to much up-rezzing, but I'd like to get your opinions on it.  Thanks.
Title: Stillness, Puget Sound
Post by: Bill Caulfeild-Browne on August 31, 2009, 09:33:06 pm
Quote from: jasonrandolph
This is an older shot that I came across in my Lightroom library.  The nice thing about RAW is you can go back and start from scratch years later, which is what I did here.  This is from an older DSLR, so resolution isn't great and it won't stand up to much up-rezzing, but I'd like to get your opinions on it.  Thanks.

I really like it but if it were mine I'd crop it to a rectangle by losing some of the sky and an equal amount of the water.
Very relaxing pic!
Bill
Title: Stillness, Puget Sound
Post by: jasonrandolph on September 01, 2009, 03:25:15 pm
Thanks for the feedback Bill.  I'm still undecided on the cropping, but the top and bottom aren't contributing anything, so they'll have to go.
Title: Stillness, Puget Sound
Post by: JeffKohn on September 01, 2009, 04:43:43 pm
Although the sky is not blown out and there is still texture in the clouds, I do feel that the top and bottom of the image are pretty uninteresting and diminish the subjects in the middle third or so of the image. I definitely think this would work better as a panoramic crop that includes the darker portion of the clouds but leaves out the lighter areas. I do like the stillness of the scene, it seems very peaceful.
Title: Stillness, Puget Sound
Post by: cmi on September 01, 2009, 04:45:26 pm
Ok I can sense the athmosphere, but Im not really convinced by that one in its current form.
Title: Stillness, Puget Sound
Post by: jasonrandolph on September 02, 2009, 11:33:08 am
Thanks for the comments Jeff and Christian.