Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: dwood on August 29, 2009, 11:42:25 pm

Title: Herrick Bay sunrise
Post by: dwood on August 29, 2009, 11:42:25 pm
This was shot from Brooklin, Maine looking east toward Mount Desert Island (home of Acadia National Park).

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2539/3869701766_e468dc036b_o.jpg)
Title: Herrick Bay sunrise
Post by: wolfnowl on August 30, 2009, 03:18:52 am
I like it, but if it was me I'd remove the shoreline from the bottom of the frame.  I say that because with the ribbon of clouds, then the far shore and the mountains and then the band of shoreline at the bottom of the frame, I think the image gets divided up too much.  That's a personal preference of course...

Mike.
Title: Herrick Bay sunrise
Post by: Ed Blagden on August 30, 2009, 04:49:25 am
What Mike said.

Also, I'm interested in the boat at the bottom left.  It looks tiny.  Is it a model boat or is it some strange trick of perspective?

Finally, for me, the image is a bit too centred.  The hill and the trees are right in the middle of the horizontal, and I wonder if the image would have worked better if these were off centre.

Still, I like it.

Ed
Title: Herrick Bay sunrise
Post by: dwood on August 30, 2009, 05:34:24 pm
Quote from: Ed B
What Mike said.

Also, I'm interested in the boat at the bottom left.  It looks tiny.  Is it a model boat or is it some strange trick of perspective?

Finally, for me, the image is a bit too centred.  The hill and the trees are right in the middle of the horizontal, and I wonder if the image would have worked better if these were off centre.

Still, I like it.

Ed

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll play around with it a bit more.

Ed - the boat at the bottom left is real. It's a rather small lobster boat and I'd guess it's around 26 or 27 feet in length.

-Doug
Title: Herrick Bay sunrise
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 30, 2009, 05:39:15 pm
I'm with Mike on this. Very nice, but lose the shoreline.
Title: Herrick Bay sunrise
Post by: dwood on August 30, 2009, 08:09:37 pm
Quote from: EricM
I'm with Mike on this. Very nice, but lose the shoreline.
v2...

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2571/3871995883_dc32f628ff_o.jpg)
Title: Herrick Bay sunrise
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 30, 2009, 08:40:24 pm
Yes! Gorgeous!
Title: Herrick Bay sunrise
Post by: JeffKohn on August 31, 2009, 01:34:19 am
I took a look at this earlier in the weekend but didn't comment (was out of town, so forum time was limited). Something didn't quite sit right with me on initial viewing but I wasn't sure why at the time. Coming back now I see the second version without the shoreline, and I like it much better.
Title: Herrick Bay sunrise
Post by: wolfnowl on August 31, 2009, 02:40:45 am
Indeed!

Mike.
Title: Herrick Bay sunrise
Post by: cmi on August 31, 2009, 05:15:58 am
Now it has a calmness the first version lacks.
Title: Herrick Bay sunrise
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 31, 2009, 05:56:00 am
Quote from: dwood
v2...
Much improved (and it was pretty good to begin with!). A lovely image, but I agree with Ed that it would be even better if it weren't so centred.

Jeremy
Title: Herrick Bay sunrise
Post by: dwood on August 31, 2009, 07:28:40 am
Quote from: wolfnowl
Indeed!

Mike.
Thanks for making the org. suggestion to lose the shoreline Mike. I agree that the image works better without it.

And thanks to all for your comments.
Title: Herrick Bay sunrise
Post by: jasonrandolph on August 31, 2009, 11:46:24 am
I like the lines in the sky.  And I am also in the boat (pardon the pun) with those who lilke it without the shoreline.  There's also nice tonal separation between the trees and the mountain in the background.  Nicely done.