Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: garyfcampbell on August 28, 2009, 08:32:47 pm
-
Hi,
I just upgraded to Snow Leopard on my Mac.
Photoshop CS4 works.
Lightroom 2 works.
I can print from CS4 to my Z3200 just fine.
However, HP APS and HP Printer Utility both crash.
I reinstalled th eHP Printer Utility, it gets to the first window, but it crashes when trying to select the Z3200.
I have called product support, but I don't have a work around to either right now.
Don't upgrade to Snow Leopard if you need to manage or sync a Z series printer(paper calibration, presets, etc) with the HP Printer Utility.
Gary Campbell
-
Hi,
I just upgraded to Snow Leopard on my Mac.
Photoshop CS4 works.
Lightroom 2 works.
I can print from CS4 to my Z3200 just fine.
However, HP APS and HP Printer Utility both crash.
I reinstalled th eHP Printer Utility, it gets to the first window, but it crashes when trying to select the Z3200.
I have called product support, but I don't have a work around to either right now.
Don't upgrade to Snow Leopard if you need to manage or sync a Z series printer(paper calibration, presets, etc) with the HP Printer Utility.
Gary Campbell
Thanks for the heads up
-
Thanks for the heads up
Does anyone know if this is also true for the bog standard Z3100 - 24 inch?
Thanks
-
APS and HP Printer Utility is the same for all models of the Z series printers.
-
Hi,
I just upgraded to Snow Leopard on my Mac.
Photoshop CS4 works.
Lightroom 2 works.
I can print from CS4 to my Z3200 just fine.
However, HP APS and HP Printer Utility both crash.
I reinstalled th eHP Printer Utility, it gets to the first window, but it crashes when trying to select the Z3200.
I have called product support, but I don't have a work around to either right now.
Don't upgrade to Snow Leopard if you need to manage or sync a Z series printer(paper calibration, presets, etc) with the HP Printer Utility.
Gary Campbell
Just a couple of questions, as I haven't updated my system to Snow Leopard yet.
Can you list the versions of the HP APS and HP Printer Utility that you are using?
Did the printer utilities come bundled with Snow Leopard, or using Software Update, or downloaded from the HP site?
Have you tried checking off the "Open using Rosetta" in the get info on the application and running it from there (provided you have Rosetta installed)?
Does the system give you any reason on why it's crashing (console or finder output)?
Was your Snow Leopard an upgrade with existing Leopard install or a clean installation?
-
Hi,
I found the fix, both APS and the HP Printer Utility have been bundled into a new application for Snow Leopard called HP Utility that is downloaded when the the first Software Update is done. You need to run Software Update after installing Snow Leopard to get the HP printer drivers.
The old APS and HP Printer Utilities applications need to be thrown away.
The new utility is accessed thru the Print&Fax System Preferences panel. Select the printer, and then select the "Options & Supplies" button.
HP Utility: Using the HP Utility to manage and troubleshoot the device
The latest HP Utility is included in Mac OS X 10.6.
Method one: Open the HP Utility from the System Preferences menu
Make sure your printer is turned on and connected.
From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences .
Click Print & Fax .
In the list of printers on the left side of the dialog, select the HP All-in-One to view the options in the Print & Fax window.
Click Options and Supplies .
Click the Utility tab at the top of the window, and then click Open Printer Utility .
The HP Utility opens. Features and options may vary depending on your printer model.
Method two: Alternative
The HP Utility can also be launched from the printer icon in the dock to open the Printer Browser window.
Double-click the printer icon. The Printer Browser window opens.
Click Printer Setup in the toolbar.
Click the Utility tab.
Click Open Printer Utility .
The HP Utility opens. Features and options may vary depending on your printer model.
Gary
-
I found the fix, both APS and the HP Printer Utility have been bundled into a new application for Snow Leopard called HP Utility that is downloaded when the the first Software Update is done. You need to run Software Update after installing Snow Leopard to get the HP printer drivers.
Wow! I have the APS. It was a rather expensive add-on for the hpz3100ps which required a license number. In the new bundled version, is the software like the HP Print utility--not requiring any license--or like the APS--requiring a license? Or is it one piece and requires the license to activate the APS features?
thanks
ed
Baltimore
-
Ed,
I got Snow Leopard to work with the Z3200 just fine. You need to throw away the old HP Printer Utility, the new one comes with the 1st Software Update you do after the Snow Leopard installation, do one right away.
The printer's panel is how you access the new HP Utility. The utility will calibrate the screen with the built in Apple screen calibration stuff, or if you have APS installed it will take you to APS. So APS isn't free, I didn't understand that it would choose between the two.
However, I can't get APS running, it crashes, and X-Rite doesn't have a fix yet.
Gary
-
I have a Z3200 and I am testing it with Snow Leopard. I downloaded the new HP Utility via the Apple software update. The utility has a new and I think improved interface. However, when I click on the local profile update button (bottom right) under the HP Utility "Paper Preset Management" I get an error for any additional papers (including any imported paper presets). The error message states "Cannot Update whole paper list" "The following papers have not been registered:" followed by any additional paper presets that I had imported. This error never occurred with MacOSX 10.5 and previous HP Z3200 driver software.
-
Does anyone else have this problem?
HP APS 1.40 and Snow Leopard (on a HP Z3100PS)
I can get a monitor calibration and save it, but when it comes time for the HP APS to load the calibrated profile, it gives an immediate error saying 'could not load profile'
This means that I cannot optimize or validate in HP APS and every time I reboot the APS reminder comes on saying there is no profile.
Before I try and rebuild everything I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem.
I already tried reloading the HP printer drivers from Apple's website and reinstalled the HP APS with no luck.
-
Does anyone else have this problem?
HP APS 1.40 and Snow Leopard (on a HP Z3100PS)
I can get a monitor calibration and save it, but when it comes time for the HP APS to load the calibrated profile, it gives an immediate error saying 'could not load profile'
This means that I cannot optimize or validate in HP APS and every time I reboot the APS reminder comes on saying there is no profile.
Before I try and rebuild everything I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem.
I already tried reloading the HP printer drivers from Apple's website and reinstalled the HP APS with no luck.
So I tried a fresh install of Snow Leopard and then 10.6.2 combo update and then the 2.3 HP Printer Drivers update from Apple and then the HP APS 1.4. Still no go, same bug is there.
I go onto the HP APS website (giainteractive.com) and I see that there is a pdf for 1.5 of the APS solution...everything else about it makes me thing that it is just a typo, and the current version still lists 1.4 for mac and pc anyhow.
Regardless, how does one report a bug to the developers? Should it be to HP or to X-rite? The APS website has no contact info anywhere for reporting bugs.
-
Exactly the same problem with APS 1.4 and OSX 10.6.2
Here you may download HP driver and utility for OSX 10.6
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...p;swEnvOID=4082 (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3737555&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=3737540&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4082)
But to tell you the truth I prefer to stay on the safe side and decided downgrade to OSX 10.5.x and to wait for new APS release.
-
Exactly the same problem with APS 1.4 and OSX 10.6.2
Here you may download HP driver and utility for OSX 10.6
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...p;swEnvOID=4082 (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3737555&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=3737540&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4082)
But to tell you the truth I prefer to stay on the safe side and decided downgrade to OSX 10.5.x and to wait for new APS release.
One of the problems with trying to keep the whole contraption going is the fact that the HP and Apple are not communicating to the public which versions are the most current.
HP Printer Update 2.3 from Apple was released earlier than the HP Utility listed in the link you provided, yet when I get info on my HP Printer Utility (All Apple installed updates) it says 4.4.3, while the HP site has a Dec 1, 2009 post which quotes 4.4.2.
This leads me to believe that the Dec 16, 2009 4.2 Raster Driver for the 3200 wouldn't be any newer than what was in the Apple Update. Apple System Profiler tells me that the Apple Update also has version 4.2 installed, but I can't be 100% that they are one and the same either.
Of course, in neither case does it solve any of the APS 1.40 woes when running under Snow Leopard. Again this seems to be a (mis)coordination issue between X-Rite<->HP<->Apple. An ETA on when a fix would be available would be nice.
-
I'm close to rolling the dice and finally upgrading to 10.6, now that APS says that it is compatible. I just downloaded v1.4.1 of APS and it seems to be working fine. Has anybody else tried this yet, before I potentially complicate my life? I don't want to attempt an upgrade, only to have to retreat again.
PS: As a rule, you can usually find out when software was updated from the source page that it is downloaded from, and/or from the Get Info panel of the application. In this case, there is NO information to be had at all from X Rite's APS page, and the Get Info panel lists the creation date as September 3, 2007 and copyright as 2008. Not particularly helpful. There is no release note with it, but the installer says that it is now Snow Leopard compatible and that they fixed a bug where some profiles would not upload to the printer.
-
Hi Ron,
I was wondering if you applied the latest firmware update and software update to/for your Z? I tried to install the firmware update, and received an error message, so I decided to not tempt fate, and stopped. Things are working OK and I have work to do, aside from the fact that the HP Printer Utility seems to want to randomly quit every now and again.
I think I’m on X.5.8.
Hearing about issues with APS and Snow Leopard is very discouraging. It’s a good thing these companies aren’t in a band together. I think the music might be full of fits and starts ;-)
Thanks in advance, and so long for now, TOM
I'm close to rolling the dice and finally upgrading to 10.6, now that APS says that it is compatible. I just downloaded v1.4.1 of APS and it seems to be working fine. Has anybody else tried this yet, before I potentially complicate my life? I don't want to attempt an upgrade, only to have to retreat again.
PS: As a rule, you can usually find out when software was updated from the source page that it is downloaded from, and/or from the Get Info panel of the application. In this case, there is NO information to be had at all from X Rite's APS page, and the Get Info panel lists the creation date as September 3, 2007 and copyright as 2008. Not particularly helpful. There is no release note with it, but the installer says that it is now Snow Leopard compatible and that they fixed a bug where some profiles would not upload to the printer.
-
Tom-
I upgraded to the driver that was released in December, which my computer says is PS driver 16.2. It came with a new printer utility, now just called HP Utility (v4.4.2), that has been totally trouble free for me. The changed the interface slightly, which isn't really significant for me, but more importantly I find it to be very stable and trouble free on OS 10.5.8.
I have not upgraded to the most recent firmware, as that has been the source of some issues in the past and I never saw any responses from anybody here with feedback that had tried it. There were a couple of threads where people asked about it, but never any replies from anybody running it. It came with an announcement that mentioned no new features or fixes, so I didn't bother to experiment with it. If I try to upgrade to 10.6 I will most likely upgrade the firmware first, though, to perhaps play it "safe". My printer tells me that it is version 7.0.0.3, but I know that there are odd ways that the firmware is labeled and don't know if there are multiple flavors of firmware with that basic ID. If I recall correctly, mine is about a year old, and they released another version last fall, the one that I haven't yet tried. I know that you and I are both on the PS models, and that there is different firmware for the non PS models.
-
Hi Ron,
Thanks for the direction! I upgraded the drivers and HP Printer Utility to v4.4.2, and I am so glad I did. I’d been having crashes (Mac OS x.5.8), and the new software seems much better organized. Tomorrow I will check the firmware, and test things out. Maybe those HP Printer Utility issues will get cleared up per your comments:
The changed the interface slightly, which isn't really significant for me, but more importantly I find it to be very stable and trouble free on OS 10.5.8.
I like the sound of “stable and trouble free”.
Now if I can only get my feeding issues cleared up, but that’s for another thread.
So long for now, TOM
-
This thread has not been viewed for quite some time, but I just found an answer on HP's website that specifically addresses the issue about what software to use with Snow Leopard. I haven't upgraded to anything newer since many of my other programs won't work with "non-Rosetta" status. Just to cap this thread off, hopefully with an answer to anyone desperately looking for help with this problem. The upshot is that you get rid of the old software and do a mac system update and voila - it works.
Here's the info from the HP site here:
https://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/mostViewedDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=3737540&spf_p.tpst=psiContentDisplay&spf_p.prp_psiContentDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c01664444-45%257CdocLocale%253Den_US&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: Support details (Read Carefully)
Updated HP drivers compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard are available through Apple Software Update .
Snow Leopard and Apple Software Updates : HP printer drivers, scan ICA software (using Apple Image Capture), fax drivers (where applicable) and utility are included in Snow Leopard. You do not need to reinstall or download any HP software for full print, scan, fax, and utility functionality.
HP software CD and Web downloads : HP provides full Snow Leopard software download from HP Software & Driver Downloads , and on the CD that ships with many printers. Please look carefully at the CD label to make sure that it supports Mac OS X 10.6.
NOTE: Software obtained directly from HP for All-in-One products includes the HP Scan. This software is installed in Macintosh HD\Applications\Hewlett Packard . For scanning, use the HP Scan application or Apple Image Capture.
Important : Older HP software is not compatible with Snow Leopard. Do not try to install earlier versions of HP software, either from the original product CD or from HP Software & Driver Downloads. The latest HP software that is compatible with Snow Leopard is included in Mac OS X 10.6. You will experience the best performance and functionality if you use the latest HP software.
There are several important HP software updates included in Mac OS X 10.6:
Printing
Full print functionality is supported with new HP print drivers included in Snow Leopard.
Scanning (where applicable)
The scanning interface is now built into Snow Leopard and supported through Apple Image Capture.
HP Scan Pro software (from Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5) is not supported in Snow Leopard. The HP icon for HP Device Manager still in the dock after upgrade is not functional and should be removed.
Scan support from pushing the Scan button on the HP product is not supported with this version of the ICA scan interface built into Snow Leopard. Scan functionality is supported by scanning directly from the computer.
HP Utility
HP Utility is included in Snow Leopard.
Faxing (where applicable)
HP fax drivers are included in Snow Leopard for supported devices.
Full print, scan, and fax drivers for HP Inkjet All-in-Ones (Deskjet, Officejet, and Photosmart) are included in Snow Leopard. Scanning is supported with the Apple Preview and Image Capture Applications in Snow Leopard.
Print drivers for the following printer types are included in Snow Leopard, and are available from Apple Software Update. These drivers provide print-only functionality.
HP Inkjet single-function printers (Deskjet, Officejet, and Photosmart)
HP LaserJet color single-function, All-in-One, and MFP printers
HP LaserJet monochrome single-function, All-in-One, and MFP printers
HP Designjet printers
Supported printers
The following HP printers are supported in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, OS X 10.7 Lion, and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.
(All the Designjet Z3XXX printers are included)
HP Designjet Z2100 - 24 in Photo
HP Designjet Z2100 - 44 in Photo
HP Designjet Z3100 - 24 in Photo
HP Designjet Z3100 - 44 in Photo
HP Designjet Z3100ps - 24 in Photo
HP Designjet Z3100ps - 44 in Photo
HP Designjet Z3200 - 24 in Photo
HP Designjet Z3200 - 44 in Photo
HP Designjet Z3200ps - 24 in Photo
HP Designjet Z3200ps - 44 in Photo
HP Designjet Z5200 PostScript
HP Designjet Z6100ps - 42 in Photo
HP Designjet Z6100ps - 60 in Photo
HP Designjet Z6200ps - 42 in
HP Designjet Z6200ps - 60 in