Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: siba on August 26, 2009, 09:33:00 am

Title: firewire expresscard with P45 - AC/DC power not working
Post by: siba on August 26, 2009, 09:33:00 am
Hi There,

I recently bought a sony vaio which had vista pre-installed. I thought, OK never mind, I'm sure it can't be as bad as people have said.
To cut a long story short, I found that vista doesn't support my P45. I was kindly directed to a solution by Steve Hendrix, who has been very helpful on this forum before, and I can now shoot tethered on vista. One has to change the registry in vista and enumerate inactive devices

http://phaseone.com/home/Content/Support/a...Site%20-%20Main (http://phaseone.com/home/Content/Support/article.aspx?articleid=2211&languageid=1&layoutid=SupportSite%20-%20Main)

The thing is, the P45 used to use the external AC/DC power adapter without any problems on my old XP machine. Now it won't. I've tried two different expresscards, and the power adapter is definitely functional. So, I can shoot tethered, but can't use external power. The P45 is set to automatic power detect.

Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks

Stefan
Title: firewire expresscard with P45 - AC/DC power not working
Post by: siba on August 26, 2009, 09:43:04 am
OK, it now works. I removed the battery. The camera went dead, but then lo and behold turned on again using external power. I then had to unattach the firewire cable and reattach it. I don't know why vista should make the expresscard behave differently with the power. I would obviously make more sense to have it working like before when the camera could use external power without having to remove the battery.

I guess I could have tried this before the original post.
Title: firewire expresscard with P45 - AC/DC power not working
Post by: Doug Peterson on August 26, 2009, 11:30:55 am
Quote from: siba
OK, it now works. I removed the battery. The camera went dead, but then lo and behold turned on again using external power. I then had to unattach the firewire cable and reattach it. I don't know why vista should make the expresscard behave differently with the power. I would obviously make more sense to have it working like before when the camera could use external power without having to remove the battery.

I guess I could have tried this before the original post.

Some windows based FW solutions do not provide sufficient firewire power to reliably power a high-end digital back. See this list (http://phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Support/Article.aspx?articleid=1767&LanguageID=1&layoutid=SupportSite%20-%20Main) of supported and tested firewire cards.

If you are unsure of your FW solution you can always use [Configuration > Power Source > Battery] to use the back's internal battery rather than the firewire for power.

Doug Peterson  ()
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Leaf, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)
RSS Feed: Subscribe (http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/08/11/rss-feeds/)