Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: John R on August 25, 2009, 11:00:55 am

Title: Orton imagery
Post by: John R on August 25, 2009, 11:00:55 am
The other day at Sunnyside, Toronto, I took a few images which I thought had a little surreal quality to them, so I accented the feeling with the Orton effect. One is an interesting pattern of new birches against the lake; the second is a sailboat and breakwall, both taken near sunset.


John R
Title: Orton imagery
Post by: shutterpup on August 25, 2009, 11:35:05 am
Golly, I've learned something new. I thought the Orton effect was a picture with motion in it as some of what you've posted have been. A quick google set that notion to rest.

As for the photos, I like the second one; I'm a sucker for water photos.
Title: Orton imagery
Post by: JeffKohn on August 25, 2009, 12:02:03 pm
I really like the arrangement of trees in the first one, you chose your shooting position and composition well.
Title: Orton imagery
Post by: ARD on August 26, 2009, 08:32:28 am
Quote from: JeffKohn
I really like the arrangement of trees in the first one, you chose your shooting position and composition well.

Totally agree, well done on a good photo
Title: Orton imagery
Post by: John R on August 26, 2009, 02:40:02 pm
Thanks for the comments, Jeff, Shutterpup and Ard. Both shots have a slight warm cast from the setting sun. Although, in the last two years I have done a lot of impressionistic and Orton type images, before that most of my images were Landscapes and Cityscapes.

JMR
http://lusalight.smugmug.com/ (http://lusalight.smugmug.com/)