Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Payne on August 15, 2009, 03:56:08 pm

Title: Need opinions on the toning
Post by: Jeremy Payne on August 15, 2009, 03:56:08 pm
I went whale watching with my son last weekend ... wish we had been closer, but we saw some amazing action ...

I'm interested in feedback on the toning I applied to some B&W conversions.

Whaddya think?

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2451/3822991845_eb452edfa0.jpg)

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2544/3822968681_b7a4c1b5d1.jpg)
Title: Need opinions on the toning
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 16, 2009, 04:53:19 am
Quote from: Jeremy Payne
I went whale watching with my son last weekend ... wish we had been closer, but we saw some amazing action ...

I'm interested in feedback on the toning I applied to some B&W conversions.

Whaddya think?
I like it. Chilly.

Jeremy
Title: Need opinions on the toning
Post by: jasonrandolph on August 16, 2009, 01:38:01 pm
I agree.  The blue tint works well.  The first one is amazing!  Nice work.
Title: Need opinions on the toning
Post by: Jeremy Payne on August 16, 2009, 02:28:05 pm
Quote from: jasonrandolph
I agree.  The blue tint works well.  The first one is amazing!  Nice work.
Thanks, guys ... I used a blue on the highlights and a subtle blue/green on the shadows ... I'm diggin' it, but I'm on the road and using my laptop for processing ... I'll finally get home tomorrow and can take a look on the nice monitor.

Here's a few more:

This is what the color ones looked like ...
(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2495/3823749222_c0ec9a0b83.jpg)

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3545/3822950909_fd9edeaf3b.jpg)

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2455/3822978105_c3d1e62f67.jpg)

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3425/3822985175_f4649d1305_b.jpg)
Title: Need opinions on the toning
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 16, 2009, 03:49:29 pm
Quote from: Jeremy Payne
This is what the color ones looked like ...
Nice shots, and a fine demonstration of the virtues of black and white. The colour is pretty much irrelevant and spoils them.

Jeremy
Title: Need opinions on the toning
Post by: JeffKohn on August 16, 2009, 04:42:44 pm
I find the image Christian singled out interesting, because it almost looks like a selective B/W image, with a clear division between a monochrome bottom half and the hazy blue upper half.

I've never really liked cold-toned B/W images, I tend to prefer warmer tones. But I think the cool treatment works for these given the environment and all that water.
Title: Need opinions on the toning
Post by: button on August 16, 2009, 06:10:11 pm
You've got some really special shots.  I would try dropping the luma value for the whale tale on #1 of post #1 and the fin in #2 of post #4- they look a bit cartoony to me.  Otherwise, well done.

John