Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: jasonrandolph on August 13, 2009, 03:00:37 am

Title: Nine Palms
Post by: jasonrandolph on August 13, 2009, 03:00:37 am
Shooting across the street again, this time in the hours leading up to being hit by a tropical depression...  How well does this one work?
Title: Nine Palms
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 13, 2009, 03:26:58 am
Quote from: jasonrandolph
Shooting across the street again, this time in the hours leading up to being hit by a tropical depression...  How well does this one work?
Pretty well! The blurring of the leaves conveys the violence of an impending storm and the light's in the distance, receding. If I wanted to nitpick, I'd suggest that you get rid of the white spot at the extreme left-hand end of the shot, next to the last tree.

Jeremy
Title: Nine Palms
Post by: jasonrandolph on August 13, 2009, 11:58:02 am
Quote from: kikashi
Pretty well! The blurring of the leaves conveys the violence of an impending storm and the light's in the distance, receding. If I wanted to nitpick, I'd suggest that you get rid of the white spot at the extreme left-hand end of the shot, next to the last tree.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy!  In actuality, the impending storm was a tropical depression, so this literally was the beginning of the storm. It's still dumping rain on us.
Title: Nine Palms
Post by: JeffKohn on August 14, 2009, 01:21:09 pm
I like the implied motion from the palms, and the angled lines created by the shore, horizon, and clouds. The foreground is a little too dark/murky for my tastes though. I realize you were probably going for a dark, ominous tone and I wouldn't want to lose that entirely, but I think opening up that shadows just a little would benefit the image.