Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Tony Reynes on August 11, 2009, 06:39:01 pm

Title: Lost CF card data
Post by: Tony Reynes on August 11, 2009, 06:39:01 pm
Whether it was a low battery or I somehow pulled the card out before processing was completed, Lightroom sees no images when I plug in my card. The camera is a Canon 5D, I was shooting RAW and the card is a 2 Gig Kingston. I have tried multiple rescue apps but they either don't work or they only work with files less than 10 MB. Could you steer me toward something that might work? I have 150 orphan images waiting to be loved.

Thanks,

Tony
Title: Lost CF card data
Post by: Tgrain on August 11, 2009, 07:09:06 pm
Photo Rescue.  http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/ (http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/)

free trial, $30 to buy, works on Mac or PC, worked for me with no problems!

all the best,

W
Title: Lost CF card data
Post by: francois on August 12, 2009, 01:56:16 am
I second Photo Rescue. Most of the free softwares don't work reliably but Data Rescue always gave me good results.
Title: Lost CF card data
Post by: Tony Reynes on August 13, 2009, 06:01:49 pm
Thank you both for your advice. When I ran the app, it found old exposures, not recent ones. The three conclusions I have reached are:
- the card went bad
- somehow the card was not seated
- I pulled the card before the processing in the camera was completed

Do you agree? The card was the original one i bough with the camera...probably has had 3-4,000 exposures run through it!
Title: Lost CF card data
Post by: Steph1 on August 13, 2009, 06:44:09 pm
Sandisk Image Rescue works pretty well (and with any CF card)
http://www.lexar.com/drivers/index.html#software (http://www.lexar.com/drivers/index.html#software)
Title: Lost CF card data
Post by: Steph1 on August 13, 2009, 06:45:14 pm
Quote from: Tony Reynes
Thank you both for your advice. When I ran the app, it found old exposures, not recent ones. The three conclusions I have reached are:
- the card went bad
- somehow the card was not seated
- I pulled the card before the processing in the camera was completed

Do you agree? The card was the original one i bough with the camera...probably has had 3-4,000 exposures run through it!


By far the likeliest explanation is that you simply pulled the card before the camera wrote the images.
Title: Lost CF card data
Post by: teddillard on August 16, 2009, 07:14:43 am
Quote from: Steph1
By far the likeliest explanation is that you simply pulled the card before the camera wrote the images.

True, but the low battery is possible too.  I've seen a few cases of a low battery corrupting data, not of data not getting written though.  As soon as my batteries start to show any fade at all I pop in a fresh set...  just sayin.