Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on August 10, 2009, 03:19:12 pm

Title: Flutterbyes
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 10, 2009, 03:19:12 pm
Shot last week in the Lake District. I was using a 70-200 f4, which is far from the ideal lens, as these are not much above 100% crops. What would be a more appropriate lens to use? I was able to get as close as the lens would focus and could probably have managed closer.

[attachment=15940:bf1.jpg] [attachment=15941:bf3.jpg] [attachment=15942:bf4.jpg] [attachment=15943:bf5.jpg] [attachment=15944:bf6.jpg]

Jeremy
Title: Flutterbyes
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 10, 2009, 03:36:19 pm
I'm convinced that 'Flutterbyes' is the correct name, & 'Butterflies' is a lepidopterist Spoonerism. Nice photies BTW. I suppose a 200mm macro / micro lens would be the ideal, but given limitations of equipment I think you've done pretty well.
Title: Flutterbyes
Post by: Rob C on August 10, 2009, 04:14:04 pm
Damn! How difficult to be original: I had imagined myself to have authored that word as my personal contribution to the world of the neologism back in kindergarten. We live and learn - or not, obviously enough. Oh well, never too old to be disappointed!

Rob C
Title: Flutterbyes
Post by: Jeremy Payne on August 10, 2009, 04:47:21 pm
You could get a diopter like the Canon 500D and stick it on that lens ... I use one on my 70-200VR to get my 'macro' on ... I also often stick a 250D on my 50mm as well.

I shot this handheld with the 70-200 and the 500D:

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2664/3773369835_ec2ebf7f2b_b.jpg)
Title: Flutterbyes
Post by: RSL on August 10, 2009, 05:36:01 pm
Looks as if both you guys have a firm grip on the world of bugs. Beautiful photography in any case.
Title: Flutterbyes
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 10, 2009, 05:53:50 pm
Quote from: Jeremy Payne
You could get a diopter like the Canon 500D and stick it on that lens ... I use one on my 70-200VR to get my 'macro' on ... I also often stick a 250D on my 50mm as well.
That's an excellent shot! I was really worried about DoF with a diopter, but I suppose there's no way round that. I'll get one and try it out. Thanks.

Jeremy