Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: MBehrens on August 09, 2009, 11:57:50 pm

Title: Camera Date/Time While Traveling
Post by: MBehrens on August 09, 2009, 11:57:50 pm
This isn't really a LR question but it is in LR that I'm contending with the results of my actions, so here it is. Also I didn't see another forum that fit the question any better.

Just returned from a trip to Norway traveling from Seattle WA, USA. And all of my picture's meta-data is off by 8 or 9 hours depending on whether they were taken in the UK (GMT) or Norway (+1). I realized it during the trip but figured I'd deal with it on returning. Does anyone know of a way in LR to adjust the capture date time by a specific number of hours? Thinking I may need to write a SQLLite update query.

Do folks usually keep their cameras synced to the local time zone?
Title: Camera Date/Time While Traveling
Post by: bradleygibson on August 10, 2009, 01:12:01 am
Since you're not afraid of writing SQL queries, EXIFTool can help you here--it's a geeky tool that will let you rewrite your timestamps (and include timezone information if you're writing XMP).  AFAIK, LR will not let you edit capture times...

I use GPS to location stamp my images, and find it easiest just to set the camera to UTC-0 and be done with it.  At some point in the future,  since my photographs contain the unambiguous UTC-0 time as well as location information, the proper time (time with offset) can be reconstructed.  Right now, EXIF doesn't even allow the offset to be stored (!), so there's no really good answer.

The key is to be consistent, so that it's possible to sort things out when tools mature...


Quote from: MBehrens
This isn't really a LR question but it is in LR that I'm contending with the results of my actions, so here it is. Also I didn't see another forum that fit the question any better.

Just returned from a trip to Norway traveling from Seattle WA, USA. And all of my picture's meta-data is off by 8 or 9 hours depending on whether they were taken in the UK (GMT) or Norway (+1). I realized it during the trip but figured I'd deal with it on returning. Does anyone know of a way in LR to adjust the capture date time by a specific number of hours? Thinking I may need to write a SQLLite update query.

Do folks usually keep their cameras synced to the local time zone?
Title: Camera Date/Time While Traveling
Post by: JeffKohn on August 10, 2009, 01:34:20 am
I've struggled with this a bit as well. Right now my approach is to set both my laptop and the camera date/time to the local location That way the EXIF is stamped with the correct local time so that I can see what time of day a shot was taken (2 hrs before sunset, for instance). When I download my images to the laptop every night they automatically get geotagged by Breeze Downloader Pro, so as long as the camera and laptop are in sync I'm good to go.

The only problem is if I forget to set one or both to the correct local time, and then things can get out of sync. I've found that I can fix things after the fact with Geosetter, but it's a bit of a PITA (and slow) so I try to be careful to get it right in the first place.

In your case you might want to check out Geosetter. It's free and it can 'fix' the date/time in your images if you give it the correct offset.
Title: Camera Date/Time While Traveling
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 10, 2009, 03:45:25 am
Quote from: MBehrens
This isn't really a LR question but it is in LR that I'm contending with the results of my actions, so here it is. Also I didn't see another forum that fit the question any better.

Just returned from a trip to Norway traveling from Seattle WA, USA. And all of my picture's meta-data is off by 8 or 9 hours depending on whether they were taken in the UK (GMT) or Norway (+1). I realized it during the trip but figured I'd deal with it on returning. Does anyone know of a way in LR to adjust the capture date time by a specific number of hours? Thinking I may need to write a SQLLite update query.

Do folks usually keep their cameras synced to the local time zone?
Use "Edit capture time" from the Metadata menu in LR.

Jeremy
Title: Camera Date/Time While Traveling
Post by: pegelli on August 10, 2009, 07:16:05 am
I always keep both my cameras and computer at the same time and also don't change for DST.

It's the most foolproof method (tells you how I think of myself  ) to work out at which local time an image is taken.
As soon as I start adjusting for time zone/DST changes I either forget to reset or make other mistakes that are not always easy to undo.....
Title: Camera Date/Time While Traveling
Post by: howardm on August 10, 2009, 08:33:38 am
under the Metadata toolbar item, there is 'Edit Capture Time'.

Or you could write a script to use exiftool and modify the files directly and then re-import.

Personally, I would have concern about the SQL query route lest you mangle the data (and therefore the catalog).
Title: Camera Date/Time While Traveling
Post by: mikeseb on August 10, 2009, 08:53:17 am
I keep my cameras set to UTC / GMT. I don't travel outside the US that much, but I figure I'll never be able to remember to set and reset them. It's easier to convert from GMT to another zone, should I need to know the local time the image was shot, than it is to try to remember the time zone and presence or absence of DST.
Title: Camera Date/Time While Traveling
Post by: MBehrens on August 10, 2009, 12:33:22 pm
Thanks! Don't know how I missed this. Exactly what I was looking for.

Quote from: kikashi
Use "Edit capture time" from the Metadata menu in LR.

Jeremy
Title: Camera Date/Time While Traveling
Post by: MBehrens on August 10, 2009, 12:40:24 pm
I've determined that sticking with Standard Time is the best solution as well. The LR Metadata tool to adjust (revealed below) will probably drive a process for me of adjusting after the fact. One less thing to remember to manage in the field.

Quote from: pegelli
I always keep both my cameras and computer at the same time and also don't change for DST.

It's the most foolproof method (tells you how I think of myself  ) to work out at which local time an image is taken.
As soon as I start adjusting for time zone/DST changes I either forget to reset or make other mistakes that are not always easy to undo.....