Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chairman Bill on August 07, 2009, 06:22:38 am

Title: Above Buttermere
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 07, 2009, 06:22:38 am
Taken on a walk in the English Lake District.
(http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/members/images/7277/gallery/Fullsize/Above_Buttermere.jpg)
Title: Above Buttermere
Post by: wolfnowl on August 07, 2009, 12:14:07 pm
Great light!

Mike.
Title: Above Buttermere
Post by: RSL on August 07, 2009, 12:30:13 pm
Mike's right. The light is unusually good.
Title: Above Buttermere
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 07, 2009, 01:19:25 pm
Yes!
Title: Above Buttermere
Post by: JeffKohn on August 07, 2009, 01:28:17 pm
Echoing the others, the mix of light and shadow is what makes this shot. There's also a slightly ominous mood created by the way the clouds are looming overhead. I bet this would also be effective as a B&W image.
Title: Above Buttermere
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 07, 2009, 02:58:50 pm
As suggested, here's a B&W version
[attachment=15875:Above_Bu...mere_B_W.jpg]

Edit: BTW, thanks for the positive comments. It took some tweaking in Aperture 2 to get the light areas to stand out a bit more than they otherwise did. I'm not sure I've matched this quality of light in the monochrome though.
Title: Above Buttermere
Post by: pete_truman on August 07, 2009, 05:03:19 pm
Personally prefer the colour version - great light and shadow. A grand walk, one I haven't done for years. Last time I was at that spot I was inside one of those clouds!
Title: Above Buttermere
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 07, 2009, 05:18:35 pm
Pete
We'd just spent a week in Skye, Assynt & Glencoe, constantly walking in cloud, then stopped off in Buttermere on the way home. Sunday morning and a scramble up Deadsheep Buttress, then along to Red Pike before finishing the journey, and the cloud was well clear of the tops. Though hail was falling on Fleetwith Pike, Haystacks & Pillar, we were always in the clear!
[attachment=15880:Stormy_s...he_fells.jpg]
Title: Above Buttermere
Post by: John R on August 07, 2009, 09:14:25 pm
I like both shots. But I confess to not liking the BW version, as it takes too much away from the glory of the colour and all its variations.

JMR
Title: Above Buttermere
Post by: RSL on August 07, 2009, 09:51:56 pm
Quote from: John R
I like both shots. But I confess to not liking the BW version, as it takes too much away from the glory of the colour and all its variations.

JMR

I'm with John. I love B&W but the color belongs in this one.
Title: Above Buttermere
Post by: shutterpup on August 07, 2009, 10:09:24 pm
Not every photo translates well to black and white; this is one that does not. I much prefer the color. I think what bothers me with the B/W is the diagonal of light down the hill doesn't translate well. Makes me wonder how Ansel(or any of the photographers who had only B/W available to them)would have handled it.
Title: Above Buttermere
Post by: jasonrandolph on August 07, 2009, 10:12:12 pm
I think I prefer the B&W, but both are winners to me.  Amazing place.
Title: Above Buttermere
Post by: francois on August 08, 2009, 07:13:12 am
I have a preference for the color version. I'd say that the B/W looks also great. If I had not seen the color version, I would think that it's the open "mouth" of a volcano.