Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Josh-H on July 31, 2009, 07:46:58 pm

Title: Photoshop CS4 w/ Bigger Tiles and Disable Scratch Compress
Post by: Josh-H on July 31, 2009, 07:46:58 pm
Has anyone here tried adding these 'legacy' plugins to boost CS4 performance?

CS4 Performance (http://macperformanceguide.com/OptimizingPhotoshop-Configuration.html)

The performance gains appear to be considerable.
Title: Photoshop CS4 w/ Bigger Tiles and Disable Scratch Compress
Post by: TimG on August 01, 2009, 12:14:43 am
Yep, I followed those suggestions to a T and it made a BIG difference on my 2.3 Dual G5.
Title: Photoshop CS4 w/ Bigger Tiles and Disable Scratch Compress
Post by: Jack Flesher on August 01, 2009, 11:21:34 am
Quote from: TimG
Yep, I followed those suggestions to a T and it made a BIG difference on my 2.3 Dual G5.

Been using both for years -- and yes, they really improve performance.
Title: Photoshop CS4 w/ Bigger Tiles and Disable Scratch Compress
Post by: jjlphoto on August 01, 2009, 05:51:39 pm
Thanks for the link. I added those as well. I also just read his article setting up a 2 partition RAID volume.

http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-RAID.html (http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-RAID.html)

In addition to my boot drive, I have two 500GB internal SATA drives in my MacPro that I am going to do this to. He recommends Mirroring for safety, or Striping for performance, as expected.

Anyone know if it is stable to make the scratch partitions into a Stripped RAID, and the Data partitions into a Mirrored RAID? Or is this asking for trouble?
Title: Photoshop CS4 w/ Bigger Tiles and Disable Scratch Compress
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 01, 2009, 07:28:19 pm
Anybody know of any similar plugins for a PC version of Photoshop?

Or am I the only only one backward enough not to have switched to a Mac?    

Title: Photoshop CS4 w/ Bigger Tiles and Disable Scratch Compress
Post by: Jack Flesher on August 01, 2009, 07:31:07 pm
Quote from: jjlphoto
Anyone know if it is stable to make the scratch partitions into a Stripped RAID, and the Data partitions into a Mirrored RAID? Or is this asking for trouble?

I am running a 4-drive RAID-0 array with a thin out 120G partition as scratch and it works great.  My working image files are on the larger inner partition, and it is also really fast for image I/O -- but being R-0 it is of course backed up onsite (in my case, to a DROBO).


Title: Photoshop CS4 w/ Bigger Tiles and Disable Scratch Compress
Post by: DiaAzul on August 01, 2009, 08:12:53 pm
Quote from: EricM
Anybody know of any similar plugins for a PC version of Photoshop?

Or am I the only only one backward enough not to have switched to a Mac?  

Bigger Tiles is available for 32-bit Windows CS4, bigger tiles is not required/ not available for 64-bit CS4. In all other situations the plug-ins address Mac only performance issues.
Title: Photoshop CS4 w/ Bigger Tiles and Disable Scratch Compress
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 01, 2009, 09:58:32 pm
Quote from: DiaAzul
Bigger Tiles is available for 32-bit Windows CS4, bigger tiles is not required/ not available for 64-bit CS4. In all other situations the plug-ins address Mac only performance issues.

Thanks, David.