Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Payne on July 30, 2009, 08:50:43 pm
-
(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2600/3772789319_6f1396c143_o.jpg)
(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2653/3773593176_afe90364a8_o.jpg)
-
Another take on #2 ...
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3485/3773089785_3cb7bb98c8_o.jpg)
-
First one is interesting, for me it's an abstraction because I have no idea what those black balls are. The shadow's not quite distinct enough to work as a subject though, IMHO.
Of the other two I prefer the corrected perspective of the second shot, although the crop is tighter and feels a little claustrophobic (I'm guessing you did the PC in software and had to crop?).
-
First one is interesting, for me it's an abstraction because I have no idea what those black balls are. The shadow's not quite distinct enough to work as a subject though, IMHO.
Of the other two I prefer the corrected perspective of the second shot, although the crop is tighter and feels a little claustrophobic (I'm guessing you did the PC in software and had to crop?).
The first is an homage to a famous Lee Freidlander shot ... I've wanted to "copy" it for 25 years ... and now (for the last 5) I live right where it was shot.
They are canon balls at the Soldiers and Sailors Monument (not Grant's Tomb as always reported).
What I learned was that he must have shot it in the fall or winter due to the leaves in the way and the angle of the sun ... I'll keep going back ...
The second was the monument above it. I played with the PC adjust in PS ... I agree after correction it appears cramped - but an interesting tool ... was the first time I used it.
Thanks!
-
Jeremy, Both good shots. The first is Friedlander all right. I'm not sure about the second. I like the first version of the tower best. I do perspective adjustment too sometimes, but I always wonder whether or not I should be doing it. Showing structures straight up and down without a vertical vanishing point goes way back to painting and then early photography with view cameras. Since then most people have seen enough un-adjusted structures in photographs that vanishing point perspective doesn't bother them, and that kind of perspective gives a better illusion of height. I guess I'll continue to do perspective adjustment but try to be very selective about it.