Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: boblybill on July 30, 2009, 06:39:39 pm

Title: My Vacation Part I
Post by: boblybill on July 30, 2009, 06:39:39 pm
I went on a long vacation to Sterling, CO, at the begining of July. Here's a storm chase that Dad and I went on...

1.
(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2535/3767425967_59ba8d8973_o.jpg)

2.
(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2597/3768226140_45890d996e_o.jpg)

3.
(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2578/3769944989_d8c093bbfa_o.jpg)

4.
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3521/3770745442_768f6dd676_o.jpg)

5.
(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2631/3768226690_fe4f6fce2b_b.jpg)

6.
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3425/3767426883_7531729466_b.jpg)

We actually watched the tornado from this storm touch down about a mile east of us, but it was so weak that we didn't even know that it was a tornado until after we got back home. This was a beautiful storm system.
Title: My Vacation Part I
Post by: rvanr on July 31, 2009, 04:32:53 am
Some excellent shots. I like the last one best because it allows us to see the wholle cloud 'system.' It is a separate thing, with an identity. I also like that on both sides of this pano there is a lighter area. Some of the other ones are a bit unbalanced, because the light is on one side only. These comments are relevant to the artistic merits of these shots, as photojournalism they lack a bit in human content.
Title: My Vacation Part I
Post by: francois on July 31, 2009, 06:01:25 am
Stunning photos, I particularly like the last two photos (panoramic). They show the "whole" scene which is quite rare.
Title: My Vacation Part I
Post by: JohnBrew on July 31, 2009, 09:39:31 am
Good shots. Growing up in west Texas I went through many similar storms. Sometimes they would spawn tornados, but more often were filled with hail and violent downbursts.
Title: My Vacation Part I
Post by: boblybill on July 31, 2009, 02:55:51 pm
Thanks for the comments guys. While I was chasing this storm, I had forgoten my camera bag on the top of my car and drove off with it on the top of my car opened... Well of course it fell off and I didn't notice until my mom and I were packing to leave for our camping trip. Long story short, a sherif got a call from a resident in the area that had seen a storm chaser leave with his camera bag on the top of his car and saw it fall off and picked it up. It was full of water when the sherif had gotten it and was letting it dry out when I went to pick it up. Miraculously, everything that was in the bag still works fine. I had a 580exII, ST-E2 wireless speedlight transmitter, 50 f1.8, two battery chargers, and various other stuff.

@rvanr... I'll keep those comments to heart. Balance of light you say, eh?
Title: My Vacation Part I
Post by: wolfnowl on July 31, 2009, 03:27:51 pm
Some great images!  Thanks for sharing them.

Mike.