Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: PhillyPhotographer on July 20, 2009, 10:49:07 pm

Title: Elevator
Post by: PhillyPhotographer on July 20, 2009, 10:49:07 pm
This photo is now part of Darkness Darkness
Darkness Darkness (http://www.darknessdarkness.com/artists/penn.php)


(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3066/2336809796_16cf046576_o.jpg)
Title: Elevator
Post by: cmi on July 21, 2009, 05:24:00 am
I love how you use the square format, not only in this image but in all of your work. I just had a quick glance at your website and I am amazed. I also love the square but I never thought of consistently using it. Intriguing!

The image here is fascinating. The way you captured it makes me curious about it, it seems to stand alone, but since I dont see it at an angle this is hard to judge. Clever.
Title: Elevator
Post by: PhillyPhotographer on July 21, 2009, 10:19:53 am
Quote from: Christian Miersch
I love how you use the square format, not only in this image but in all of your work. I just had a quick glance at your website and I am amazed. I also love the square but I never thought of consistently using it. Intriguing!

The image here is fascinating. The way you captured it makes me curious about it, it seems to stand alone, but since I dont see it at an angle this is hard to judge. Clever.

Thank you Christian. This is the 7th floor rooftop parking garage for the now closed Strawbridge & Clothier department store. To the left is a Federal prison and to the right is the historic S&C building itself.
Title: Elevator
Post by: jasonrandolph on July 21, 2009, 11:45:21 am
I really like the contrast between the warm amber and the cool blue.  Nice job composing.  All of the lines and shapes work very well together.
Title: Elevator
Post by: RSL on July 21, 2009, 02:17:28 pm
Michael, Another splendid shot. I kept wondering where all that blue light came from and finally downloaded it and did this:

[attachment=15588:23368097...046576_o.jpg]

Now I'm not sure which one I like best.

Then, there's the high structure B&W approach.

[attachment=15589:BW.jpg]

What a pleasure to see something like this on here. Bravo!
Title: Elevator
Post by: alain on July 21, 2009, 05:15:43 pm
nice, very nice

I like the original the best, it needs color.
Title: Elevator
Post by: button on July 21, 2009, 06:20:36 pm
Quite an unusual composition.  You've framed (literally) the central structure, but yet you've broken up this stasis with a more or less 1/3 color distribution, as well as with an uneven arrangement of geometric forms (buildings).  For me, this slight tension works very well.

John
Title: Elevator
Post by: John R on July 21, 2009, 06:22:01 pm
Superb. Love all the tones exuding colour and light.

JMR
Title: Elevator
Post by: popnfresh on July 22, 2009, 06:58:13 pm
Excellent composition, and in color no less! I don't recall you posting anything other than B&W shots until now.

And of course, congratulations for being included in the exhibit!
Title: Elevator
Post by: PhillyPhotographer on July 22, 2009, 10:18:12 pm
Quote from: popnfresh
Excellent composition, and in color no less! I don't recall you posting anything other than B&W shots until now.

And of course, congratulations for being included in the exhibit!

I don't shoot color anywhere near as much as I would like.
 And thank you !
Title: Elevator
Post by: DarkPenguin on July 24, 2009, 12:02:11 am
I always love your stuff.  This is no exception.