Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: byork on July 15, 2009, 11:15:51 pm
-
Had it in mind to get some opinions on this for a while but always chickened out....Jeremy's broken the abstract ice, so here it is.
Cheers
Brian
-
Brian
I'd be curious to know why you "chickened out" of showing off this one; I think it's fabulous. I wouldn't call it an abstract, but it conveys a great sense of kinetic energy, and I can almost hear the thunder of hooves. For me, this is the best image I have seen you post.
What technique did you use to post this? Whatever it was, it worked.
Ed
(edited a typo)
-
Best thing you've ever posted.
Brilliant shot ... not sure I'd call it abstract, but who cares? It is amazing.
-
Damn cool, Brian. The motion blur conveys a sense of aggression which I really like. To accentuate that effect, here's a suggestion:
1) Open the image as is in photoshop. Duplicate the layer, and go to "image adjustments" and desaturate the new layer.
2) Set blending mode to soft light or overlay. Change opacity to taste.
3) If you don't have photoshop, try desaturating the image a bit in lightroom, and boost the black levels. Adjustments with the HSL tab might also work. Experiment with a bit of clarity. Also, turn off all noise reduction, to give it a grittier look. You can even add a bit of gausian noise in photoshop if yo have it.
Whether or not these suggestions work doesn't really matter- you've got a real winner here.
John
-
Brian, I can't add to what's already been said. It's a splendid shot! Congratulations.
-
The Emperor's New Clothes look splendid indeed. (It looks like an accidental double exposure).
-
It's all been said - not abstract, but a great image!
Mike.
-
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess abstract is not quite the word to describe it, but it sort of is to me because I don't do a lot of this sort of thing. For a couple of years I wrote a column in one of the racing publications here, and these were often accompanied by some of my own pictures. The paper were only ever interested in sharp images of horses featured in the edition though, so there wasn't much call for this. As for the chicken syndrome....I've shown it to people here and there and never had much positive feedback (including some of the newspaper sports photogs whose silence I took for dislike). But I've always liked it, which is why I had a mind to get opinions here.
Ed, this is a slow shutter pan....I set ISO 100 and just stopped the lens down till the shutter slowed up enough. Final exposure was 1/13 @ f10. Obviously could have used shutter priority, but seemed quicker to wind down aperture.
Thanks again, you've set my mind at rest with this one.
Cheers
Brian
Edit; more info, another shot.
-
Very good, I totally like it! (If anything I would add a little saturation but thats just personal taste.)