Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: marcgoldring on July 13, 2009, 05:12:08 pm

Title: Moving from PC to Mac
Post by: marcgoldring on July 13, 2009, 05:12:08 pm
I am considering moving from PC to Mac and am sorting out the implications of that move. I gather I can get LR from Adobe without repurchasing. Now I wonder about my 6,000 or so images - is there some easy, reliable way for the Mac to read my existing catalog?

Thanks,

Marco
Title: Moving from PC to Mac
Post by: john beardsworth on July 13, 2009, 05:17:18 pm
Yes, open it on the Mac. It makes no difference.
Title: Moving from PC to Mac
Post by: Chairman Bill on July 13, 2009, 05:19:19 pm
If you can connect both computers to the same network & make use of OS X's Windows File Sharing feature it should be reasonably simple to transfer them across. The Mac will read them OK
Title: Moving from PC to Mac
Post by: marcgoldring on July 13, 2009, 05:21:02 pm
Mercy, that seems too easy... Well, I'll not complain. Thanks for swift replies!!

M
Title: Moving from PC to Mac
Post by: john beardsworth on July 13, 2009, 06:45:09 pm
Just think of it as getting a new computer - the change of brand makes no difference to LR.
Title: Moving from PC to Mac
Post by: Misirlou on July 13, 2009, 06:49:56 pm
I'm now keeping my main catalog on a very powerful PC at home, but copying it to an external drive. Then I can work on new files in the field from a Mac or PC laptop, and work on web galleries from the older files, using 1:1 previews. Figured all that out via the new "Where Are My $@^$ing Pictures" videos Michael put out last month.