Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on July 12, 2009, 02:35:05 pm

Title: Footfall
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 12, 2009, 02:35:05 pm
Or just silly?

[attachment=15340:footfall.jpg]

Jeremy
Title: Footfall
Post by: cmi on July 12, 2009, 03:02:14 pm
No, not silly, I like the idea. Its about urban anonymity. For me its like a sketch wich could be refined with further tries.
Title: Footfall
Post by: pegelli on July 12, 2009, 03:25:29 pm
Nice idea, and good first try where I like the lineplay with the pavement and shadows. Maybe a few too many distractions around the border, but worth exploring further and see what you end up with.
Title: Footfall
Post by: francois on July 12, 2009, 03:31:53 pm
I agree with the above comment. The idea is good but there's too much going on in this shot. It would have a stronger impact without the distractions.

Anyway, this is a good start!
Title: Footfall
Post by: RSL on July 12, 2009, 04:38:09 pm
Jeremy, I agree with the others. It's a good try. Paul Strand would like it. But there really are too many distractions in it. The light's great.
Title: Footfall
Post by: dalethorn on July 12, 2009, 05:37:40 pm
You could try cropping off the left side, since there's nothing distinct there - the action and interest is on the right.
Title: Footfall
Post by: button on July 12, 2009, 11:45:11 pm
Quote from: kikashi
Or just silly?

Not at all.  I could see this working perfectly with just the one walker you have top right with the white shoes: the pavement (society, government, whatever authoritarian force you like) has laid out a strict path, veering to the bottom left, vs the individual whose shadow points bottom right (perpendicular to the pavement).  Let's see a reshoot with just that.  You've laid out a thought provoking concept.

John
Title: Footfall
Post by: Ed Blagden on July 13, 2009, 02:42:10 am
No, not silly at all.  This could be a first class image if it were better composed, with less going on.  I think just one set of legs and shadows would work better.  Great light.

Ed
Title: Footfall
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 13, 2009, 03:13:46 am
Quote from: button
Not at all.  I could see this working perfectly with just the one walker you have top right with the white shoes: the pavement (society, government, whatever authoritarian force you like) has laid out a strict path, veering to the bottom left, vs the individual whose shadow points bottom right (perpendicular to the pavement).  Let's see a reshoot with just that.  You've laid out a thought provoking concept.

John
Thanks, all. Alas, it's in Sydney and I'm in England so a reshoot will be tricky. Maybe next year! I'll try cropping it a bit more tightly, though.

Jeremy
Title: Footfall
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 13, 2009, 11:49:40 am
Jeremy,

Here's one cropping that I like. The image is a winner, with lots of potential. Do try other croppings, and look for other similar scenes (even in England.)

[attachment=15373:footfall2.jpg]

Eric

Title: Footfall
Post by: cmi on July 13, 2009, 02:14:04 pm
Quote from: kikashi
Thanks, all. Alas, it's in Sydney and I'm in England so a reshoot will be tricky. Maybe next year! I'll try cropping it a bit more tightly, though.

Jeremy

Im sure you could, with a bit searching, reshoot this pretty much anywhere
Title: Footfall
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 13, 2009, 03:16:03 pm
Quote from: EricM
Jeremy,

Here's one cropping that I like. The image is a winner, with lots of potential. Do try other croppings, and look for other similar scenes (even in England.)

[attachment=15373:footfall2.jpg]

Eric
I'm sure, as Christian observes, it could be re-shot almost anywhere (although sunshine is a rarity in Manchester!).

I see what you're aiming at, Eric, but your version looks a bit narrow to me. How about a compromise:

[attachment=15381:footfall_2.jpg]

Jeremy
Title: Footfall
Post by: Anthony R on July 13, 2009, 03:29:02 pm
Yeah, super idea.....

....that I've been doing as a personal project for a couple of years now. <groan>
Title: Footfall
Post by: cmi on July 13, 2009, 04:23:28 pm
Quote from: kikashi
I'm sure, as Christian observes, it could be re-shot almost anywhere (although sunshine is a rarity in Manchester!).

I see what you're aiming at, Eric, but your version looks a bit narrow to me. How about a compromise:
Jeremy

Jeremy,

Pegelli and Ed B mentioned it already, the main impact in this one comes IMHO from these very long shadows (and partly their pointing direction). Just wanted to re-emphasize, even if its obvious. (If someone feels different, please add your thought, thank you!)

Cheers,

Christian

//edit: removed attachment in citation
Title: Footfall
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 13, 2009, 07:14:43 pm
Quote from: kikashi
I'm sure, as Christian observes, it could be re-shot almost anywhere (although sunshine is a rarity in Manchester!).

I see what you're aiming at, Eric, but your version looks a bit narrow to me. How about a compromise:

[attachment=15381:footfall_2.jpg]

Jeremy
Looks good to me.

Eric