Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Ed Blagden on July 11, 2009, 01:28:36 am

Title: Bitds at Lake Baringo
Post by: Ed Blagden on July 11, 2009, 01:28:36 am
Met these guys on an early morning boat trip.  C&C Appreciated.

This is a Goliath Heron (140mm, f/5.6, ISO400)

[attachment=15296:IMG_2102.jpg]

And this, I think but am not sure (Mike??), is a Squacco Heron (400mm, f/5.6, ISO400)

[attachment=15297:IMG_2129.jpg]
Title: Bitds at Lake Baringo
Post by: wolfnowl on July 11, 2009, 01:47:12 am
Yes, I believe you're right.  There's also a Madagascar Squacco Heron but they're white rather than reddish brown.

Good detail in these images.

Mike.
Title: Bitds at Lake Baringo
Post by: dalethorn on July 11, 2009, 02:06:41 am
You managed to make #1 stand out well from the background in spite of color similarities, but #2 doesn't do as well. Since the bird seems under-saturated or whatever, you could up the contrast or gamma a bit.
Title: Bitds at Lake Baringo
Post by: Ed Blagden on July 12, 2009, 07:24:08 am
Quote from: wolfnowl
There's also a Madagascar Squacco Heron but they're white rather than reddish brown.

Thanks Mike... I had a feeling you were going to tell me something of that nature
Title: Bitds at Lake Baringo
Post by: cmi on July 12, 2009, 03:09:40 pm
I love the first one. Everything works for me. If anything, I would try to crop a bit from the bottom so the bird is more "grounded", and maybe a bit from the left side.