Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Kevin Gallagher on July 09, 2009, 05:57:24 am

Title: Hermit Thrush
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on July 09, 2009, 05:57:24 am
(http://www.pbase.com/keving/image/13449635.original.jpg)      A D1H this time, the backround is a row of evergreen trees about 15 feet behind the subject.
Title: Hermit Thrush
Post by: cmi on July 09, 2009, 07:19:20 am
I like the light and this overall fresh, contrasty look, but the perspective puzzles me a bit, also the branch touching the bird this way feels not quite right for me.
Title: Hermit Thrush
Post by: PeterAit on July 09, 2009, 08:15:02 am
Quote from: Kevin Gallagher
(http://www.pbase.com/keving/image/13449635.original.jpg)      A D1H this time, the backround is a row of evergreen trees about 15 feet behind the subject.

Very nice, but the lighting puzzles me. It looks like a studio shot because the light is so flat and even.

Peter
Title: Hermit Thrush
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on July 09, 2009, 12:06:42 pm
Hi Pete and Chris. the light was totally natural, just one of those light overcast days, the shot was taken in my backyard and I only had seconds before the thrush took off, he was feeding on the firethorn berries and working has way up the branch I suppose. I've got a few more backyard shots kicking around I'll try and get them posted.
Title: Hermit Thrush
Post by: wolfnowl on July 09, 2009, 01:34:52 pm
It does look somewhat like a studio shot, but if you've got wandering songbirds coming into your studio, congratulations!

Nicely done overall.

Mike.