Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: tived on July 08, 2009, 04:06:39 am
-
Hi guys,
We have a couple of storage arrays, but they are getting full and we are keeping a large back-catalog of clients files/images.
I have decided against buying another storage array given its high cost these days and as most of these images will only be access once in a blue moon. I was thinking I would just store them on hard drives and keep off line, using a SATA cradle. However, I still need to keep tap of what goes where.
So, how would I best go about this. Currently everything is sorted by date and client file name, then I have sub folders with RAW files, master files and Print files.
We do have lightroom, but will it be good enough and can it keep track of images off-line? Do i need iView Media or Portfolio to do this?
thanks guys
Henrik
PS: I am dusting my DAM-book off now, and have started to read...maybe I should update it to 2nd edition
-
Unless you need network access to the database, Lightroom should be fine. If you need network access, Portfolio Server might be the best option. I use LR at home for my photos and Portfolio at work for all our digital assets (if I remember right, Portfolio handles a wider variety of file types).
If the DAM book you are referring to is Peter Krogh's, then yeah dust it off. He covers this exact topic. If not, then I recommend it. My copy is ©2006, and it's still relevant for things like this.
Dave
-
Unless you need network access to the database, Lightroom should be fine. If you need network access, Portfolio Server might be the best option. I use LR at home for my photos and Portfolio at work for all our digital assets (if I remember right, Portfolio handles a wider variety of file types).
If the DAM book you are referring to is Peter Krogh's, then yeah dust it off. He covers this exact topic. If not, then I recommend it. My copy is ©2006, and it's still relevant for things like this.
Dave
Thanks Dave,
yes it is Peter Krogh's book and mine is also 2006 :-)
Henrik
-
Peter's forum (http://thedambook.com/smf/)
John