Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: nemophoto on July 07, 2009, 12:26:03 pm

Title: positioning Photo Info in Lightroom-Print
Post by: nemophoto on July 07, 2009, 12:26:03 pm
I've been experimenting with using Lightroom to print my images. George DeWolfe speaks so highly of it, I thought I'd give it a try. I've been extremely pleased up till now with my Canon Photoshop print plug-in and the exceptionally neutral B&W results.

While Lightroom gives you the option of titling/captioning a print, there seems to be no way to modify the layout of where this is positioned or even what typeface you can use. The only option appears to be point size. The current postioning works alright for a vertical image, but obviously is awful for a horizontal shot. Short of creating a type layer in Photoshop that is saved with the image, is there no way to modify this setting? Thanks.

Nemo
Title: positioning Photo Info in Lightroom-Print
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on July 07, 2009, 03:37:22 pm
Quote from: nemophoto
I've been experimenting with using Lightroom to print my images. George DeWolfe speaks so highly of it, I thought I'd give it a try. I've been extremely pleased up till now with my Canon Photoshop print plug-in and the exceptionally neutral B&W results.

While Lightroom gives you the option of titling/captioning a print, there seems to be no way to modify the layout of where this is positioned or even what typeface you can use. The only option appears to be point size. The current postioning works alright for a vertical image, but obviously is awful for a horizontal shot. Short of creating a type layer in Photoshop that is saved with the image, is there no way to modify this setting? Thanks.

Nemo
Don't know why you're having trouble.  I'm at work and recalling things from memory but you can select an font that is on your computer easily enough.  You can also make up multiple versions and save them as presets just like any other Lightroom action (e.g., you want your name and the copyright symbol).  You can also drag and rotate the caption using your mouse.  I've been doing a lot of note cards on Crane Museo Artist Card stock and can print my logo on the back of the card and can reposition it depending on the print on the front of the card.   I also do 4x4 proofs for the card catalogue and I my name and copyright symbole smack in the middle.
Title: positioning Photo Info in Lightroom-Print
Post by: Geoff Samuels on July 07, 2009, 05:43:09 pm
I could be wrong (I often am   ) but it sounds like you were trying to use the "Photo Info" item in the Overlays panel. This only uses a typewriter style of font and about the only thing you can modify is the font size. One workaround that I've found is to use the "Identity Plate" item instead; if you click on the Identity Plate display you'll get a menu - go to the "Edit..." option and you'll go into the Identity Plate editor. There you can select several fonts (and colors) and enter custom text. If you check the box to the left of the "Identity Plate" label (in the Overlays panel) you can place and resize your custom text anywhere on the photo. The Identity Plate editor also has a pull down menu that allows you to save your custom Identity Plate.
Title: positioning Photo Info in Lightroom-Print
Post by: nemophoto on July 16, 2009, 02:07:40 pm
Thanks for the replies.

Try as I might, "Photo Info" allows exactly one typeface/font -- Ariel/Helvetica. Size is variable, but not the font. Also, no repositioning is possible with any amount of clicking or attempted dragging. On the other hand, I was able to create a new Overlay/Identity Plate with my digital signature, so at least that works well. I just wish I could reposition the caption, other than centered and Ariel. I've attached a screen capture of the way everything is set up. Any other thoughts on fonts? Seems strange that Adobe, a major font company (if not THE premier font company) would limit one to only one typeface.

Nemo
Title: positioning Photo Info in Lightroom-Print
Post by: neil snape on July 18, 2009, 01:19:34 pm
The implementation of the identity plate and text fields are very weak. IT would be nice to see a Postscript multiple floating text box which would allow adding or labelling prints.
The info text field is however probably nothing more than a text string calling the default printer text register. Yes you are right strange that this is so minimalist.