Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on July 04, 2009, 02:45:10 pm

Title: Amphibian
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 04, 2009, 02:45:10 pm
Not a great shot, perhaps (comments welcome), but I'm curious: what is he (or she)? Mike?

[attachment=15108:amphibian.jpg]

Jeremy
Title: Amphibian
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 04, 2009, 09:46:06 pm
Quote from: kikashi
Not a great shot, perhaps (comments welcome), but I'm curious: what is he (or she)? Mike?

[attachment=15108:amphibian.jpg]

Jeremy
A prince waiting to be kissed by a princess?  
Title: Amphibian
Post by: MR.FEESH on July 05, 2009, 01:21:22 am
Find wolf, he knows everything.
Title: Amphibian
Post by: wolfnowl on July 05, 2009, 01:43:10 am
Well, that's definitely NOT true.  In this case however, what you have is a wood frog.  The dark brown triangle behind the eye is a quick identifying mark.  They have an interesting life - freezing solid in winter.  Their hearts stop and their brains and bodies go rock hard.  In spring they thaw out and start up again.

Mike.
Title: Amphibian
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 05, 2009, 02:28:20 pm
Quote from: wolfnowl
Well, that's definitely NOT true.  In this case however, what you have is a wood frog.  The dark brown triangle behind the eye is a quick identifying mark.  They have an interesting life - freezing solid in winter.  Their hearts stop and their brains and bodies go rock hard.  In spring they thaw out and start up again.

Mike.
Thanks, Mike. I imagined you'd know and rather hoped you'd throw in an interesting titbit. Does the vaguely discoloured area in front of his hind leg have a purpose?
Incidentally, I found him in a wood in Switzerland, near Locarno.

Jeremy
Title: Amphibian
Post by: walter.sk on July 06, 2009, 10:46:50 am
Quote from: wolfnowl
They have an interesting life - freezing solid in winter.  Their hearts stop and their brains and bodies go rock hard.
Mike.

Sounds like some photographers I know...
Title: Amphibian
Post by: wolfnowl on July 07, 2009, 01:15:53 am
Quote from: kikashi
Thanks, Mike. I imagined you'd know and rather hoped you'd throw in an interesting titbit. Does the vaguely discoloured area in front of his hind leg have a purpose?
Jeremy

It's hard to tell from this image, but generally speaking female wood frogs are larger than males, but the undersides of males are more brightly coloured.  I've never seen a yellow discolouration like that on a wood frog, but I haven't seen any in Switzerland either!

Mike.
Title: Amphibian
Post by: MR.FEESH on July 11, 2009, 08:00:16 pm
Quote from: wolfnowl
Well, that's definitely NOT true.

Quote from: wolfnowl
The dark brown triangle behind the eye is a quick identifying mark.  They have an interesting life - freezing solid in winter.  Their hearts stop and their brains and bodies go rock hard.  In spring they thaw out and start up again.

Mike.


...