Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Payne on July 04, 2009, 09:06:49 am

Title: NYC Hawks
Post by: Jeremy Payne on July 04, 2009, 09:06:49 am
There's a surprising abundance of wildlife in Manhattan.  We even get the occasional lost coyote.

Nearby my apartment in Riverside Park, we have a pair of nesting Red Tail Hawks that had three babies this year.  The biggest of the three died when it was hit by a car, but the other two are still going strong.  It has been fun watching them learn to fly.

Birds are generally not my thing, but I have had the occasion to shoot them a couple times ... here's some shots of mom and the babies ...

Enjoy!

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2478/3635896811_eceec52cb4.jpg)

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3317/3635896347_be59cf6801.jpg)

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3301/3635892771_f201063e21.jpg)

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2500/3686330821_bca788979d.jpg)
Title: NYC Hawks
Post by: Ed Blagden on July 04, 2009, 12:26:38 pm
Nice work

I like #1 the best - I think the others suffer because of blown sky (impossible to avoid I know) and / or foreground twigs getting in the way.  But #1 doesn't have these issues and is damn good.

Ed
Title: NYC Hawks
Post by: shutterpup on July 04, 2009, 02:29:46 pm
Like Ed said, #1. What I especially like about it is the great camo effect of the tree trunk against the hawk's wings. And especially, no blown out sky to detract!
Title: NYC Hawks
Post by: RSL on July 04, 2009, 04:10:12 pm
It's a neat series. I agree that asf art, #1 excels. Good shooting.
Title: NYC Hawks
Post by: button on July 05, 2009, 09:49:15 am
I think if you crop out the blown out bit of sky in #1 (or at least pull down its brightness level), you'd make it even stronger.  The lines work quite well in that shot.  Good work.

John
Title: NYC Hawks
Post by: cmi on July 08, 2009, 09:48:37 am
I like the first most!